Weck Rolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
In order to make Weck Rolls: Buy all ready baked Hard Rolls at Store, Mix a Table Spoon of Corn Starch with a Cup of Warm Water this should be be like a paste. Preheat the oven to 350 deg. In a seperate dish mix equal parts Caraway Seeds and Kosher Salt. Place Rolls on a baking sheet. Brush the Corn Starch and Water paste unto the top of the Rolls. Sprinkle the Kosher Salt and Caraway Mix unto the Rolls. Place in oven for about 5 min (Just long enough for the paste to set up you don't want to melt the Salt or Burn the Rolls). Remove from oven and let cool or serve warm. You might have to play with the Corn Starch to water ratio to get the paste right. If you make these rolls you need to use them the same day otherwise the salt will make the rolls gummy. If it's really Humid you want to eat the rolls right away otherwise they'll get gummy. Let me know how it works out for you. This recipe came from Charlie the Butcher

Sorry to here that their are not NY Style Hard Rolls in Texas. You might want to go inside (Horror of Horrors) and mix your own Hard Rolls Dough. Then when they are almost done baking put the paste on and the caraway and salt. I can look for a hard roll recipe if you would like.

Well as far as a recipe goes I think I could get one but the trick is the steam in the oven for the thin crispy crust. Thats a pain to do at home. Thanks though.

Zilla you can get the cripsy crust by letting the dough rise for along time and try a baking stone in the oven. It might be worth a try I'd offer to send rolls but I don't think they would travel well.

Yea they wouldn't be the same. The next time my sister comes to visit she can bring some for me. She usually brings Bagels. =P~

ScottyDaQ said:
Ya ever try the "toss an ice cube onto the bottom of the oven" trick?
You got a recipe for "an ice cube" ;)

For real I was woundering how they got the salt to stick, thanks witt
I also read that you can place a small pyrex dish with boiling water in the oven during baking

Back
Top Bottom