Twice Baked Potato Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Master Chef
INGREDIENTS

* 6 med to large baking potatoes (I used Russet)
* 1/2 cup butter
* 1 medium onion, small chop
* 1 celery stalk, small chop
* 1 cup of grated carrot
* 4 cloves of garlic, minced
* 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
* 4 cups whole milk
* 2 cups of reduced sodium chicken broth
* 1 tablespoon salt
* 2 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 2 teaspoons of Mrs. Dash Original
* 1 lb bacon, cooked crisp and chopped
* 4 green onions, chopped
* 10 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
* 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream

DIRECTIONS

1. Prick potatoes with fork and cook potatoes in 350º oven for 90 minutes or until internal temp reaches 210º. Allow to cool, then scoop out potato from skins into a large bowl and use a potato masher to break up.

2. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Saute' onion for about 3 or 4 minutes. Add the celery, garlic and carrot and cook for another 2 or 3 minutes.

3. Stir in flour and cook about a minute. Combine the milk and chicken stock, and whisk in a little at a time, stirring constantly. Allow mixture to come to a boil, while continuing to stir, until thickened. Stir in potatoes, salt, pepper, 1/3 of the bacon, 2 tablespoons green onions and most of the cheese. Cook until thoroughly heated. Stir in sour cream and heat through. Serve topped with remaining bacon, onions and cheese.

4. This soup will be thick, you can thin it out using more chicken stock or additional milk, perhaps even reduced fat milk to aid in thinning.

You'll have leftovers, makes approx. 8 good sized bowls of soup.

I made up a batch of this today….I figured ½ lb of butter and a 1lb of bacon…can’t be all that bad….and the fact that Bruce posted the reicpe…everyone hes posted has been spot on…I fried up 2lbs of bacon..you can never have to much BACON….
I did everything up till mid way thru step 3 on the stove top….I then transferred the soup mix to a crock pot and put it into a holding pattern till the wife and kids come home….before we are ready to eat I will add the cheese and the sour cream. I didn’t want to add that to early because I know it will change the texture of the soup if the cheese is left at temp for to long…I found this out when I made Dr BBQs Mac and Cheese Soup…

I added a can of corn and it really set it off nicely

wittdog said:
I made up a batch of this today….I figured ½ lb of butter and a 1lb of bacon…can’t be all that bad….and the fact that Bruce posted the reicpe…everyone hes posted has been spot on…I fried up 2lbs of bacon..you can never have to much BACON….
I did everything up till mid way thru step 3 on the stove top….I then transferred the soup mix to a crock pot and put it into a holding pattern till the wife and kids come home….before we are ready to eat I will add the cheese and the sour cream. I didn’t want to add that to early because I know it will change the texture of the soup if the cheese is left at temp for to long…I found this out when I made Dr BBQs Mac and Cheese Soup…

I added a can of corn and it really set it off nicely

Umm hello...pics ? Do I have to say it ? No pics, no , well, you know the rest.

Back
Top Bottom