Spicy Sweet Potato Soup with Crispy Tortillas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diva Q

Executive Chef
Saw this on the food network this morning. Making it for lunch. A nice spicy soup for a cold (-28 with windchill) and snowy day.

Spicy Sweet Potato Soup with Crispy Tortillas
Yield: 4

Ease of Preparation: Easy
A recipe is merely words on paper; a guideline, a starting point from which to improvise. It cannot pretend to replace the practiced hand and telling glance of a watchful cook. For that reason feel free to stir your own ideas into this dish. When you cook it once, it becomes yours, so personalize it a bit. Add more of an ingredient you like or less of something you don't like. Try substituting one ingredient for another. Remember words have no flavour, you have to add your own!
Ingredients:
Spicy Sweet Potato Soup

* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 3 onions, peeled and chopped
* 4 cups chicken stock
* 2 large sweet potatoes, washed and grated
* 1 chipotle pepper, in adobe sauce
* 1 tsp ground cinnamon
* Salt

The Garnish

* 1 x small bunch cilantro, minced
* 1/2 cup sour cream
* Salt and pepper
* 1 x flour tortilla

Directions:
Spicy Sweet Potato Soup

1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Place a large soup pot over medium-high heat and add oil and onions. Sauté until golden brown.
3. Add the stock and grated sweet potatoes and stir.
4. Bring to a simmer and add chipotle pepper, cinnamon and salt.
5. Continue to simmer until potatoes have softened.
6. Puree in a blender, or with an immersion blender.
7. Adjust seasoning and, if necessary, adjust the thickness by adding a cup or so of water.

The Garnish

1. Stir cilantro into sour cream and season with salt and pepper.
2. Roll tortilla into a cigar shape and slice thinly.
3. Place on a baking sheet and bake until crispy, about 15 minutes.
4. Top each bowl of soup with a dollop of sour cream and a handful of the tortilla chips.

mmmmm smells good so far.

The onions:
img_88671_0_99089acfe363df1705f36e583b30bb98.jpg

The chiles & grated sweet potato and I am also going to add some red pepper to give it a hint of red and some layered sweetness.
I decided to make it a bit spicier so I am adding some whole ancho chile and some guajillo chiles. My husband will love this. He likes spicy food a
lot

img_88671_1_1eaf9c3b8a1203172fe683ea3ba25326.jpg

some chiles, cinnamon, cayenne and the grated potato and red pepper go into the pot along with some chicken stock. It is simmering away nicely.

img_88671_2_dba30a77d73abfa5d0e138d6b902a06d.jpg

Soup turned out great lots of spice and is a great texture as well. Really creamy. Very fragrant. I will make it again. And I may even mix in some pulled pork as a topper to it.

img_88677_0_9c9cf013676c107de0cf6158a7cedcdb.jpg

Back
Top Bottom