Sourdough naner bread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hillbilly1

Sous Chef
Sourdough Banana Bread
1/2 cup + 1 Tbs. butter; room temp. 3 Tbs. lemon juice
3 eggs 6 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups active sourdough starter 1 1/2 Tbs. baking powder
3 cups sugar 2 Tbs. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla 1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 1/4 cups mashed ripe banana 3 cups coarse chopped nuts

In a mixing bowl cream together butter, eggs, sourdough starter, sugar, and vanilla.

In a separate bowl combine bananas and lemon juice. Stir to mix well.

In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

Alternately mix flour mixture and bananas into wet ingredients, beginning and ending with flour. Stir in chopped nuts.

Pour batter into a well greased 12" Dutch oven. Place lid on oven and bake using 8-10 briquettes bottom and 14-16 briquettes top for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of bread comes out clean.

I ain't tried this yet, but thin were gonna this weekend! Always lookin fer sumtin else ta do with sourdough!

Sounds laurapin there Maynard. Fact is I lugged quite a few over ripe nanners which they was fixing to throw out over at the fruit stand and delivered them to the Cafeteria Lady at the Middle School...expressly for the purpose of making nanner bread. Now doubt she know much about that sour dough bizness. Have known some in the past who grew it and groomed it etc. Not sure how many know or practice that protocol nowadays. Maybe 1 in 10 thousand. Whutcha think? Give us the finer points of the practice when you get a round toit.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Sounds laurapin there Maynard. Fact is I lugged quite a few over ripe nanners which they was fixing to throw out over at the fruit stand and delivered them to the Cafeteria Lady at the Middle School...expressly for the purpose of making nanner bread. Now doubt she know much about that sour dough bizness. Have known some in the past who grew it and groomed it etc. Not sure how many know or practice that protocol nowadays. Maybe 1 in 10 thousand. Whutcha think? Give us the finer points of the practice when you get a round toit.

bigwheel
These instructions worked well for me to grow my own starter.

Once it's established you keep it in the fridge to slow it down, still have to feed it once in a while ... how often depends on how much you are keeping, how much you feed it and a couple other things. You could start with say feeding it at least once every couple weeks.

To use it and to top it up let it come back to life a bit by keeping it warm, frequent vigorous stirring and feeding it. Then use it and put the unused back in the fridge. Put it away when it's strong, not weak. It's strong when it responds well, and within a few hours of feeding it can double itself by volume of trapped gas.

I picked up Ed Woods Sourdough book and it really helped fill in the blanks and explained maintenance. If you want to do sourdough it's a great book. You can even order different sourdough cultures from his online side biz ... even the famous San Fran.

Once you are happy with your culture, spread 1/4" or so of it out on a cookie sheet and let it completely dry. Grind it up, vac pack it in small amounts and you've now preserved it. If you ever lose your starter open up one of the packs and you'll be right back in business.

I read that the settlers would put excess starter in between the logs on the wall. You could scrape some of that stuff off a hundred years later and it would still be fine.

So far I'm quite happy with the one I grew myself.

Well thanks for the factoids and the link. Knew that stuff had a colorful history but first I heard about shoving it twixt the logs. Thats cute. May take up the hobby one of these days. Warden say she might let me retire next year. Give mo free time to piddle with stuff like that.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom