Simple Lemon Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
Simple Lemon Pie

1 Pre made 9in pie crust
½ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
3 egg yolks
1 14oz can of sweet and condensed milk
Preheat oven to 325*

1.Separate egg yolks….beat.
2.Add lemon juice and s&c milk
3.Whisk well…
4. Pour into pie crust
5.Bake for 30 min at 325*
6. Let cool and eat

I do a simple lemon pie but it's different - (of course) and it's based on a 150 year old Shaker recipe I found back when i was an Archeologist. I gopt the recipe from a very old. dusty and falling apart Shaker Cookbook. For some reason, men seem tolove this pie more than women.

Shaker Lemon Pie

You need:

2 pie crusts rolled out for use in a deep dish pie pan

4 of your best lemons, washed and blemish free
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 large eggs (room temp when you use them)

Slice the lemons paper thin, rind and all, Remove seeds and mix lemon slices with the sugar. let stand overnight or at least 4 hours. (you can slice with a knife or with a mandolin - whatever gives you the thiniest uniform slices)

Beat the eggs well and pour over lemon & sugar mixture. Gently fold in the eggs until well incorporated. pour into a deep dish pie pan lined with a one pie crust. Top with second pie crust and crimp in the style of your liking. Cut 4 v-shaped slits in a square pattern in the center with the points going in. Make sure there is equal distance between the V-s.

Bake in a 350 degree oven until done - about an hour or so - until an insrted knife comes out clean. It basically truns into an intense lemon custard. Do whatever it is you do to make the crust come out nice and brown - if you use tin foil to keep the edges from burning - do that. if you use a pie skirt - do that.

This is a pie that is hard to mess up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom