Sassy Apple Slaw with creamy tart-apple dressing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave'sWife

Cook
This is a large recipe - you can cut in half if not feeding a horde - it is my own recipe.

Sassy Apple Slaw

Salad mix:
*2 standard bags of prepared coleslaw mix (green cabbage with a little red and some shredded carrots)
*4 normal sized Gala or Fuji apples, washed, cored and sliced into matchstick style slices. Leave the peel on for color.
*1/4 cup Lemon Juice & 1 cup water mixed - for keeping the apples from browning
2 cups pickled red cabbage well-rinsed in cold water and drained
1 cup shredded carrot
1 1/2 cups diced jicama

Dressing:
1 cup of thawed apple juice concentrate (granny smith juice concentrate works very well and adds some snap!)
1/3 cup seasoned rice wine vingar
1 packet Good Seasonings Italian dressing dry spice mix
2 cups of Greek style yogurt or Creme Fraiche

Mix all the salad ingredients together well. IN a separate bowl, mix all the dressing ingredients together. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat. Referigerate. Makes a boatload of Sassy Apple Slaw!

The dressing recipe is a little generous on purpose. if you like your slaw not so wet - add half and then only as much more as you think you'd like. My husband likes his slaw nice and wet. Mind you, since you aren't use mayo, this dressing isn't quite as bad for you as regular.

If you don't have greek Style Yogurt or Creme Fraiche - you can use nonfat plain yogurt or yogurt cheese. I use the Greek Style yogurt because it is thicker than even sour cream but with a lot less fat and tang.

If you don't have the patience to slice the apples into little matchsticks, you could just chop them but it won't be as nice.

Note - if you simply must have celery seed in your slaw - feel free. It works well wit this recipe. I just don't prefer to have it in mine. You can also toss in some toasted sesame seeds or black poppy seeds if you like.

Enoy!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom