Nick's Killer Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbquzz

Master Chef
Last week Nick posted "Cheeseburger Soup," he got the idea form Triple D so with two recommendations, Nick and Guy I could not go wrong. Better than I ever could have imagined "Killer." I followed Nicks recipe other than my own twist of using a little Reverend Marvin's when I sweat the onions. Here is Nick's version:

2 Pounds Ground Beef, I used 80 / 20
32 Ounces Beef Stock
1 Pint 1/2 & 1/2
1 Small Block Velvetta Cheese, Cubed
1 Large Sweet Onion, diced
3 Tablespoons Butter
3 Medium tomato, Chopped
1/2 Head Iceberg lettuce, Chopped
Salt & Pepper, to taste
1/4 Cup Flour, Mix with water to make slurry for thickener
Hamburger seasonings, I used onion soup mix, some basil and seasoned black pepper.

1. In a Dutch Oven, melt butter and sweat onions until translucent. While thats going on, mix hamburger seasonings with ground beef as if you were going to make patties for the grill. When onions are done, remove them from the pot and add ground beef mixture. Brown ground beef, breaking it up, and brown completely. Don't worry about a little sticking to the bottom, your going to want this. When done, remove from pot and drain fat.

2. Add your beef stock, heating it up. Add your flour slurry and bring to a boil, scraping bits off bottom of pan. Add 1/2 & 1/2 and Velvetta. Cook until the cheese is all melted, not boiling, stirring a little more than occasionally to keep cheese from sticking to bottom. Add in onion and beef.

3. Season to taste and lower heat. Cover and cook for about 45 minutes. Add tomato and lettuce, stir and serve.

4. Add croutons in serving bowls as desired.

Thanks Nick!

Made this the other day but used 1 pound of ground beef, 16 oz beef stock, one tomato and 2 cups of lettuce. Also, I didn't add seasoning to the beef when browning, but chose to season the soup when you add the beef and onion back to the pot. I added 2 teaspoons of seasoned salt and 1 teaspoon of black pepper.

Very good soup. I think I might try it with 5% cream or 4% milk next time as it was very rich (and I don't think I needed the extra calories).

I wonder if a little annatto or turmeric would darken the soup up a little without changing the flavour, mine was a little light.....

Well got to extend admiration to anybody who can eat copious amounts of hot lettuce without puking. Great job youse guys.

bigwheel

For bigwheel:

img_232288_0_68db1c425daa4cd1491022ca9ade741e.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom