Killer stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rag1

Executive Chef
I don't do much of any baking or deserts. Some time ago I tried making cinnamon buns (that's what they were called when I was a kid) from a recipe I found. They were outstanding. Later I couldn't find that recipe and made a couple of batches from other recipes. They turned out not nearly as good. I gave up. Then the old recipe turned up and 'bam', I'm back in business. I couldn't tell by reading the recipe what was different, but it is major better.
I made up a batch yesterday and they kick ass. Anything else is just cake with goo on top.
If you get shut in this winter, give them a try....it's worth the work.

* Exported for MasterCook 4 by Living Cookbook *

Philadelphia Sticky Buns

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time: 0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
-----BUNS-----
1 cup milk
granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter
3 Tbs butter
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 envelopes yeast
1/2 cup warm water
2 large eggs
2 tsp lemon zest
5 1/2 cups flour
1 Tbs cinnamon
TOPPING
2 cups dark brown sugar
1 cup butter
1/2 cup water
2 cups walnuts

----- BUNS -----

-----

Heat milk in a small saucepan over moderate heat until small bubbles form around the edge; remove from heat. Add 1/3 cup sugar, 1/2 cup of the butter and the salt; stir to melt butter and then cool to lukewarm. In a large bowl sprinkle yeast and 1/2 tsp sugar over the warm water; let stand 5 minutes. Add milk mixture, eggs and lemon zest. Add 2 cups of the flour and beat 1 minute with a wooden spoon. Gradually beat or stir in as much of remaining flour as needed to make a soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured board and knead 5 to 7 minutes until smooth and elastic. Placed dough in a greased bowl and turn once to bring greased side up. Cover and let rise 1 to 2 hours in a warm place, until double in volume.
-----

-----
TOPPING
-----

-----
In a saucepan heat brown sugar, butter and water over low heat. When butter is melted, bring to a boil over moderately high heat, stirring constantly. Pour syrup into two 9 inch square baking pans (it should be about a quarter inch thick). Arrange nuts in syrup.

-----

-----
SHAPE BUNS -----

-----

Melt remaining 3 Tbs butter. Mix cinnamon with 1/4 cup sugar. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface; cut in half and let stand 5 minutes. Roll one piece of dough into a 14 x 9 inch rectangle; brush with half the melted butter and sprinkle with half the cinnamon-sugar. Roll up with a jelly, starting with one long side. Cut into 12 pieces; arrange on top of syrup in pan. Repeat with remaining dough. Let rise 40 to 60 minutes or until double in volume. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, until well browned. Remove from oven and turn out onto a large plate or sheet of aluminum foil. Spoon excess syrup over buns, rearranging nuts as necessary. Let buns cool completely. Makes 24. -----

Comments: This is the good one.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Would locking the doors and pulling the blinds suffice as 'shut in'? . . . because I'd really like to give these a go!

Sounds like a good job for the Bread Moochine in the dough making mode. I got a big weakness for good cinammon rolls but I aint much into kneading food stuffs. Will be sure to put these on the Warden's to do list. Thanks Rag.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom