Gerry's Chili

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

From the Tri-Tip Master..

Gerry's Chili

This is the way I like my chili:soup style with meat and beans. Enjoy.

2 Lbs. Coarse ground chuck
1 Large yellow onion, diced
1/2 Small sweet green pepper, diced
1/2 Small sweet red pepper, diced
4 Cloves garlic, minced
2 + Chipotles in adobo, minced
12 t Chili powder
1 t Salt
1 t Fresh gound black pepper
1 t Sugar
1 T Fresh ground cumin
2 28 oz Cans whole tomatoes
2 16 oz Cans tomato sauce
1 16 oz Can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 16 oz Can chili hot beans

Brown the ground chuck in a large Dutch oven. Remove to a plate or bowl lined with paper towels to drain. Deglaze the Dutch oven with the onions, peppers, and liquid from the tomatoes. Add the meat back in. Add all other ingredients, cover, and simmer for 4 hrs., stirring occasionally.

Serve with saltine crackers, shredded cheddar, sour cream, chopped fresh chives, Frito's Dippers, or anything else you can think of.

Thanks. I'm glad some folks are enjoying it, and your variation sounds real good.
Here's something I've got used to doing, so give it a shot next time. Instead of using regular chili powder, I use ground Ancho chile power from Penzey's in equal amount, bump the cumin way up (maybe triple? love the stuff), and throw in some oregano. The ancho doesn't add much heat, but gives it a nice dark color and rich flavor.
To me, you've stated one of the best attributes of those chipotles. If used properly, you can get a pretty nice burn but 10 or 15 minutes later, your tastebuds are back to normal. I use them in my raspberry-chipotle sauce.
Gerry

Back
Top Bottom