Frosty Strawberry Squares

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave'sWife

Cook
This is a recipe given to me by my Mother-in-law, who got it from HER Mother-in-law! It's very popular in my husband's family because it brings back memories. I've passed it along to other gals and the result is always the same - their families love it.

Frosty Strawberry Squares

1 Cup All Purpose Flour, sifted
1/4 cup Light Brown Sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup Butter, melted
2 egg whites
1 cup granulated sugar
2 cups sliced fresh strawberries (or 1-10 Ounce package frozen strawberries partially thawed. If using frozen, reduce sugar to 2/3rds cup)
2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
1 cup of Heavy Whipping Cream, Whipped stiff
Extra fresh whole strawberries for garnish

Stir together Flour, sugar, Walnuts and Butter. Spread this evenly in a shallow baking pan. bake at 350 Degrees for 20 minutes. Remove from oven to cool. You will use these crumbs as the crust. Take 2/3rds of the baked crumbs and sprinkle into the bottom of a greased 13 X 9 X 2 baking pan.

Combine Egg whites, sugar, berries and leom juice in a large bowl. beat with an electric beater on high spead until satiff peaks form (about 10 minutes). Fold in the whipped cream and then spread over the crumbs crust. Sprinkle reserved crumbs over the top and freeze at least 6 hours or overnight. Cut into sqauares. Makes between 10 and 12 squares. garnish with whole or halved strawberries. You can also decorate with mint leaves if you like.

I'm sure you could make this with nay other frozen fruit such as mango chunks, Blueberries, Blackberries, etc. Some people substitute crushed pretzles for the flour in the crumb part of the recipe.

Back
Top Bottom