Cornbread?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Make my own. Probably never the same way twice since I don't have a recipe. Cornmeal, flour, eggs and buttermilk 'til it just looks and feels right.

Sometimes though I get lazy and want some sweet cornbread cake and I'll just use Jiffy Mix.

Jiffy mix as per instructions and add a small can of creamed corn, diced jalapenos and shredded cheese. Add mix to a HOT CI skillet and cook on the grill.

Jiffy mix as per instructions and add a small can of creamed corn, diced jalapenos and shredded cheese. Add mix to a HOT CI skillet and cook on the grill.
OK, it's starting to com back to me now.:):)

Vermin, you just might have been the reason I started using Jiffy Mix.:D:D That "recipe" sounds like something I've done before.

Only yankees eat Jiffy mix. For the package mixes Shawnee Mills is pretty good. Corn Kits in a pinch. To make it from scratch..try this:

Big Wheel's Cornbread imported from Recipe Import (Rev 7/24/14)

***INGREDIENTS BELOW***

Instructions

I do cornbread like this: Put big cast iron skille in the oven at 425 and get it hot. Add about 1/4 cup of your favorie grease and let it heat up good too. Very important..dont do this all at once. Bacon grease works well as do Peanut Oil with a little bit of butter in it. While its heating take a large bowl and mangle together 1 3/4 cups of yellow cornmeal, 1/4 cups flour, 1 T baking powder and 1/4 t. baking soda, 1 t. salt, 2 t. sugar..2 T. buttermilk powder..1 egg and enough milk to make it wet, but not too wet..(about like pancake batter) and mix it up good. Pour the hot grease into the mixture in the bowl and stir it a little more. Make sure the skillet is still real hot, then pour the mix into the skillet and cook it in the oven till its nice and brown on top. When its done drag it out and bang it loose from the pan on the counter and put it back in the skillet upside down. Turn off the oven and crack the oven door. Wait 15 mins then turn it back right side up. Cut it like a pie and slather up with some real cow butter. You can also substitute a little honey for the sugar. Now some of these Crackers claim it don't need any sugar, but I like it better with a little sweetening in it. If you want the Cats meow..for the cornmeal ration use one cup regular old Aunt Jemimah and 3/4 cup a good stone ground Variant. We tend to get Lambs around here mostly.

Posted to the BBQ List by bigwheel on Sep 29, 1998.

Last edited:
Southerner's and their GREASE!!!! Not to healthy huh?
Seems like all my ancestors that ate what's considered unhealthy live lots longer that the health nuts are living today. Had several Great Aunts that were always frying up chickens in lard, making real butter beans with real butter, mashed 'taters with lots of butter and/or gravy (usually made with lard or the fried chicken drippins) and lots more foods like all this, well they lived well past 100. My Dad's getting close up there close to the century mark and was raised on that kinda food. An Uncle raised in the same atmosphere just died @ 99, couple of months short of 100.

NOW, you tell us again what's healthy? Put your electronic game toys away and get outside and break a sweat every now and then! :p

LoL, really? Get outside. I spend most of my time outside. Just cause I like to game with friends from around the world, get into tournaments, and win money. I guess haters are all around!

Haha, you really make me laugh!

Hey folks. Who likes to play cards? I play a lot of spades over at a place called Safe Harbor Games.

Back
Top Bottom