Buckhorn Hot/Sweet Pickles From Q-Fest 2006

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zilla

Sous Chef
I took this from the Gator forum where it was posted by my buddy Chuck (aka~BobbyQ) of Rockport, Texas. They were a hit at Q-Fest. Hope you enjoy.

I heard from Zilla that after tastin'em at the Qfest, some of y'all were interested in the recipe for "Buckhorn" pickles. Alright here ya go but first a little history...the Buckhorn tavern in Ingleside TX used to put out some sort of grub every Friday evening around quittin' time. Usually some chili or somethin' off the big pit out back but whatever it was, it was always accompanied by a big ole jar of hot-sweet pickles and next to the jar would be a stack of photocopies of the recipe. I doubt that this recipe is original to the Buckhorn, (a google-search for "hot sweet pickle recipe" gets lots of hits for the same basic formula but searching for "buckhorn pickles" get's zilch) but that's where I learned it and they'll always be known as Buckhorn pickles around here in honor of that fine drinkin' establishment now lost to history.

To make your own batch you'll need the following ingredients:

One gallon of whole sour pickles
One four pound bag of sugar
One two ounce bottle of Tabasco sauce
One twelve ounce can of jalapeno slices

(For the gallons I whipped up for the Qfest, I also added two teaspoons cayanne and doubled the Tabasco sauce)

Drain the pickles and discard the sour brine.

Cut the pickles into slices or spears or whatever suits you.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, Tabasco sauce and the juice from the jalapenos.

Alternately spoon sugar mixture and pickle slices back into the jar untill it's all in there which takes a little pushin' and packin' towards the end.

During the next couple of hours, turn the jar over every few minutes to agitate the sugar and help it disolve.

The pickles will give up enough new brine to totally disolve the sugar over the next couple of hours. Stick'em in the 'fridge and in a couple of days they'll be ready! They are perfect at 4 days and get a bit sweeter as the days go by.

They should stay refrigerated when not actually gettin scarfed!

Thanks Zilla..got it saved looks good. Wonder if this come out tasting anywhere close to Skippy P's perked up pickles? Dang you ever had any of those? Wow. I forget whut he calls me right now.

bigwheel

I'm thinking he just means dill pickles, but who knows, that's prolly Texas code for a secret pickle we Yankees don't even know 'bout.

No, Sour pickles are different than Dill pickles. The Sour pickles used in the recipe are "Best Made" brand but there are others. Dill pickles have Dill in them, sour pickles do not. Dills will work OK. Guys, It must be hell living in pickle Purgatory. ;)

zilla said:
No, Sour pickles are different than Dill pickles. The Sour pickles used in the recipe are "Best Made" brand but there are others. Dill pickles have Dill in them, sour pickles do not. Dills will work OK. Guys, It must be hell living in pickle Purgatory. ;)

See, I told you, secret Texas pickles.

NO FAIL SOUR PICKLES

Do not attempt to change the salt to water ratio in this recipe as the brine will not be successful.

1 c. Kosher salt to 1 gallon of water
Several sprigs of fresh dill
3 or 4 cloves garlic, cut in half
1 bay leaf
1 tbsp. pickling spice
2 or 3 whole allspice

Wash and dry sufficient small cucumbers of the pickling variety to fill a gallon size jar. Add the herbs and spices to the top. Mix up the salt water mixture well and pour it over the cucumbers, covering them totally. Cover the jar.
Let the jar stand 5 days to a week at room temperature. As they start to pickle, gases will form in the jar and the mixture will bubble over unless you open the jar daily and release these gases. The pickles will be 1/2 sour at this point and can be refrigerated. They will continue to get sour in the refrigerator and will keep well for about 2 months or more depending upon the firmness of the variety of pickling cucumbers that you have used.

zilla said:

I learn something every day. I never noticed Sour Pickles on the shelf in my 42 years as a Texan. Then again, I am usually looking for dill pickles when buying. ;)

Finney said:
NO FAIL SOUR PICKLES

Do not attempt to change the salt to water ratio in this recipe as the brine will not be successful.

1 c. Kosher salt to 1 gallon of water
Several sprigs of fresh dill
3 or 4 cloves garlic, cut in half
1 bay leaf
1 tbsp. pickling spice
2 or 3 whole allspice

Wash and dry sufficient small cucumbers of the pickling variety to fill a gallon size jar. Add the herbs and spices to the top. Mix up the salt water mixture well and pour it over the cucumbers, covering them totally. Cover the jar.
Let the jar stand 5 days to a week at room temperature. As they start to pickle, gases will form in the jar and the mixture will bubble over unless you open the jar daily and release these gases. The pickles will be 1/2 sour at this point and can be refrigerated. They will continue to get sour in the refrigerator and will keep well for about 2 months or more depending upon the firmness of the variety of pickling cucumbers that you have used.
Your recipe calls for Dill..Real Texas Sour Pickles don't include Dill :roll:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom