Bean Salad - Pickled Beans Reipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bknox

Head Chef
Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my f
I realize 3 bean salad is fairly inexpensive but I love the stuff and make big bowls of it when I do. Most people have these ingredients and you can use any beans you like although I typically use Canned Green Bean, Wax Beans and Kidney beans. And to fancy it up add Garbonzo beans.

Bean Marinade
1 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
6 tablespoon honey or sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 onion sliced
1/4 teaspoon onion powder (optional)
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional but nice)

Drain the beans and place them in a large bowl. Cover with marinade and refrigerate. I think it is at its best after a couple days.Yum!

bean-salad.jpg

Last edited:
Looks pretty good there brother, think I may try it out this weekend. May change up a few things on it there though. Hope you don't mind ;);) Not a real big fan of chick peas, have to cut back on the sugar too, being diabetic. Maybe bring that down too 1 tablespoon. I will post up the modified version for you. :p

Last edited:
Max, Make it your own. As long as you have that balance or acid bite and sweet it will work out. You could use honey or even sorghum to balance the acid although I am not sure if honey or sorghum is any better than the sugar for diabetes. I have made this with just 1 bean but I think at that point it is just picked beans not salad :)

If you make a version that is friendlier to your condition please send me a copy. I now there are folks out there that like country cooking that would appreciate it.

Jeff, You will be in heaven as this makes a big bowl of it. I eat on it several days when I make it. My wife does not eat it but that is fine with me.

Gotcha on that. I like regular old green beans with Eyetalian Dressing on it. Sure I will love this. Hey Max..try some food grade veggie glycerine for your sweetener. Sure I told you this before but its 2/3rds as sweet as sucrose and has the the viscosity of warm honey. Has zero nasty old back bite and zero influence on blood sugar levels. NOW Brand is the best we have found. Pricey in the health food shoppes but very reasonable on Alfgore's cyber highway. Its used a lot to make home made liquor cordials. Also good for the skin. Very popular amongst diabetics. Dont buy the version from Wally World which is made out of pigs or something. I dont play well with garbonzo beans either. They are soy beans which contains a plant version of estrogen which can make men grow big breastes sorta like tofu does. It ok for wimmen to eat it since they like to grow big on top.

Vegetable Glycerine - 16 oz. | NOW Solutions

Last edited:
I dont think so. Bound to be some form of fructose..should be like drinking corn syrup. We have some in the pantry. Tastes nasty.

Back
Top Bottom