BBQ Black Eyed Peas w/Stewed Tomatoes & Bacon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave'sWife

Cook
My 1st post to BBQ 4 U! I made a big pot of these yesterday - it's variation on the old standby of Black-eyed peas & tomatoes. Hope some of you enjoy it!

BBQ Black Eyed Peas w/Stewed Tomatoes

Ingredients:

3 Cups Dried Black-Eyed Peas, rinsed and drained
5 Cups Vegetable Stock* (or Pork Stock if you have it)
2 cups of water if needed (use your best judgment)
2 28 Ounce cans stewed tomatoes (whole or pieces) W/the liquid from the cans
1 14.5 Ounce can French Cut Green beans, Drained
1 Red Bell Pepper, Seeded and sliced into strips
1 large white onion, chopped into large pieces
3 Stalks Celery diced but not minced. Include the Celery Greens
8 Ounces your favorite BBQ Sauce
1 Lb of (good quality) Bacon strips, chopped into 1 inch chunks, fried and drained
The deglazed contents of bacon skillet after grease is drained
1 Teaspoon White pepper
1 teaspoon Dry Mustard or a Tablespoon of Pub Mustard (but not both)
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 Teaspoon Cajun Seasoning or your favorite spicy Dry Rub

Directions:

Bring Vegetable Stock to a boil, add dry Black-eyed peas and turn down to a lower heat. Simmer for one hour. Add Canned tomatoes (cut up the tomatoes if whole), canned green beans, chopped pepper, Celery and Onion and fried bacon chunks. Also add the deglazed contents of your bacon skillet*. Stir well and allow to cook down for about 20 minutes. The stew should be thin at this point. If it is very thick, add up to 2 cups of water as needed.

After the peas have been stewing for an hour and 20 minutes, add the rest of the ingredients and keep the heat low. Continue cooking and stirring frequently for another 90 minutes or until the Black Eyed Peas are tender and have absorbed most of the liquid. When Peas are tender, take off the heat and let sit for an hour before serving so the stew acquires a body

* Cook's Note - some people prefer to use 3 cups stock and one pint of Guinness stout in this recipe. That's the way I was taught to make this dish, but then again, I'm from NYC and Irish. It adds some nice body and flavor to the dish. Use your best judgment. The alcohol does cook off but the flavor remains so AA members will most likely not want to use this option.

** Cook's Note: to deglaze the bacon skillet, drain the fat into a can and then add 2 ounces of water to the dry skillet. Scrape all the brown bits and flavor that adheres to the bottom of the pain the way you would for Red Eye Gravy. That liquid will help flavor the Peas.

Actually, Yes.. my husband does photograph everything I make because I am putting together a family cookbook. I also enter many of my recipes into contests so I make sure to take a couple of presentation photos of every dish. Unfortunately, we never figured out how to upload the digital photos to a BB! I'll have to work on that.

We're so bad with technology that we are still shooting on film and then just ordering a digital CD with the prints. You'd think my husband would be better at this since he went to Film School and works with image technology but, no.

This weekend he did a whole photoshoot of my own version of Chili Blanca which came out more like Chili Verde (lol). I'll post that recipe once I write the thing out. it came out very well and is a nice change of pace for chili lovers.

As for the Black-Eyed Peas w/Tomatoes & Bacon - my husband decided it was too good to be a side dish and added a Pound of a half of chopped smoked turkey sausage, some leftover westphalian Ham and some Chikcen/Apple smoked sausage we had lying about. He then spooned it into tortillas and pronounced the new creation to be : Perfect.

I don't do cook-offs or anything like that, just recipe contests. My main claim to fame is Irish-American cooking and converting ROI recipes to American measurments and tastes. Not a whole lotta BBQ in ROI cooking, but I do what I can to sneak it in there.

Yup!

ROI = Republic of Ireland

I'm not a very political person and I'm not trying to make any politcal statement. it's just when it comes to recipes, ROI measurements and ingredient names differ substanitally from US standards. I suppose one could say UK/ROI standard, but then folks from Australia will say, why not "UK/ROI/OZ" and so on!

For example...

In the US, we measure things out in cups and tablespoons whilst in Ireland, most recipes are in weight measurements. Dry ingredients and Fats are most often weighed rather than measured by volume. However, Liquids are usually measured by volume the same way we do. Other differences include what you call certain things.

For example:

UK/ROI NAME......................US Name
Sultanas.........................Golden raisins
A marrow.............. A green squash similar to Zuchinni or Mexican squash.
Aubergine.....................eggplant
Swede............................Rutabega
Golden Syrup..................Sugar Cane Syrup (golden syrup is a brand)
Black Treacle..................Molasses
Pudding..........................A Steamed bread w/out eggs
Custard.........................Pudding

and so on...

Sometimes finding exact equivilants in taste for ROI ingredients can be tough such as the Bilberry. Ain't no such thing in the US. And, a marrow really isn't the exact same thing as a zuchinni, but what can ya do? :!:

Once upon a time, I had a contract to do an Irish-American Cookbook of tradtional Irish recipes but with the variations and influences of other cultures that happened naturally here in the States. I was about halfway through the project when my editor got fired and the project dropped. I got paid a small kill fee but didn't have much success shopping the project around.

What amazed me was how heavy an influence Soul Food had been on Irish American cooking in New York City. There were also a number of traditional recipes that had adapted to include italian elements, tradtional Jewish cooking techniques and so on. It was great fun. I'd like to get back to it sometimes.

If anybody here ever comes across any recipes that seem to have started out as Irish and wound up being fused with local influences, I'm all ears! I still collect such recipes.

Also, if anyone is interested in having me post some Trad Irish recipes of my own, I'd be happy to do it since most can easily be cooked in a pot alongside your fave BBQ or fashioned from leftover BBQ meats. I would imagine a gal/guy could make a pretty mean St. Stephen's Day Stew from leftover BBQ Turkey & Ham! =P~ It's a traditional After-Christmas meal.

Most Trad Irish recipes are tilted towards the savory end of the spice palette but here in the US, it's not uncommon to find Irish Stew recipes with jalepenos added or other heat-type spices. In fact, since some BBQ traditions are big on the Nutmeg/Allspice end of things, many of the side Trad Irish side dishes such as braised creamed cabbage would go very well with BBQ.

Before I post any of those though, I need to write up my Chile verde recipe. We had leftovers of it lastnight and it was GOOD! :grin: Interesting fact - Tomatillos, which are used heavily in White Chili and Green Chili recipes, are not related to tomatoes, but rather to a very common irish ingredient, the Gooseberry!

BTW, I'm enjoying many of the recipes here on this site. You fellas sure seem to know your stuff! I'm busy printing recipes and considering which ones to try next!

oh you've done it now....there's going to be a huge rise in the import of black treade for use in barbecue sauce....folks looking for the last little bit of magic!

(Cappie quickly calls his broker)

Back
Top Bottom