Baked Calico Beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
Bryan S said:
I can't believe nobody has made these yet. :eek: They are the best DAMN beans you'll ever eat. =P~ =P~ =P~ Think Roadside Chicken and a plate O beans. Or brisket and some beans. 8-[
I've been making beans that are simialar, I love the butterbeans in it...

My friend R.A. Milhailoff, an actor whose been is some rather interesting projects (Texas Chainsaw Masscare III and Dinosaur City to name two), taught me to make something very similar. He used much the same types of beans in smaller amounts and added liberal amounts carmelized onions, dry mustard, kethcup, BBQ sauce, som Brown sugar and his secret ingredient, Hormel chili (no beans). It always turned out great!

R.A. hosted my wedding to Dave at his home in Glendale but some of the nicest things he ever did was share recipes with me. His vera cruz fish recipe is just the best. I'll have to find it and type it up. Onions always figure prominetly in anything R.A. makes. Nobody can carmelize an onion the way he can. he uses the tiniest pinch of bar sugar in the butter to help nudge the process along.

man, I wish I knew where he was laying his hat these days. I think I have a voicemail for him, but he travels alot working all over the country and no longer maintains a place on the west coast. He's a huge bear of a man who looks kinda scarey and yet once you get to know him is an amazing rennaissance kinda guy. In addtion to cooking, he's a medieval weapons expert. I went to some legendary BBQs at his place in Glendale which is why we decided to hold a buffet stayle wedding there when we got engaged. Those were the days. Our tenth anniversary is coming up in December - brings back memories.

Back
Top Bottom