Baked Beans (ala Boss Hawg's BBQ Topeka, Kansas)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigwheel

Master Chef
This recipe come to me through my pal Big Dave Pauling from Allen, TX. I had the recipe saved but the hard drive it was on got fried. I know it has been posted a few other places so if you seen it before I apologize profusely. They are rumroed to be the best there is and this is purty close to how Big Dave splained how to make em.

Elizabeth Lumpkin's Baked Beans (Her and hubby own Boss Hawg's I think)

1 Gallon can of Bush's Baked beans
1 big chopped onyawn
1 cup dark brown sugar (or to taste)
4 or 5 strips cooked bacon
1 cup bbq sauce
3 or 4 peeled and chopped Granny Smith Apples
1 handful golden raisins

Open the can of beans and pour off 1 cup of the liquid. Replace the missing liquid with a cup of whutever bbq sauce you want. Mix well along with the cooked bacon..chopped onyawns..brown sugar..apples and raisins. Put in a big disposable Sams pan and cook on the pit without a lid till everything gets nice and bubbly and it forms a crust on top and the apples get done. Another variant of the recipe can be found at the link below which that one could possibly be the original but it calls for Pork n' Beans so it might take mo brown sugar on that one which would seem to logical if a person used unsweetened beans. According to Big Dave a person can't really tell if its a side dish or dessert. Now he do say folks eat it up like a hawg eats slop and it is cheaper than meat.

http://books.google.com/books?id=g3eDMG ... ns&f=false
bigwheel

This is a great recipe for beans. After reading it, I went out to the local grocery and picked up all the ingredients, mixed as directed and put some lump charcoal and apple wood in my small weber kettle. The beans came out great!! I kept snacking on them until I went to bed last night.

Thanks for the great recipe Bigwheel.

Well glad you gave them a whirl and found them acceptable. I think old Big Dave includes them on a lot of his catering gigs. He has a real cute story about an old blue haired widder lady who claimed to not like beans until she got a hold of these which caused having to use a pry bar to get her outta the chow line. Thanks to Elizabeth and/or her hubby DBA Boss Hawg's BBQ in Topeka, KS for coming up with the recipe.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom