Apple Chutney for pork roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokey Lew

Head Chef
I came across a Bobby Flay brined roast rack of pork recipe that had a dynamite apple chutney side dish. The pork roast recipe was set up for cooking in an oven range but the chutney sounded so good that I used it with a smoked version of the pork rack roast I did. It came out great. The tartness of the chutney really worked well with the smoked pork.

As a new member I thought this recipe might make a good starting point for others to contribute their own versions of spicy condiments.

Apple-Ginger Chutney:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 medium Spanish onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
1 cup fresh orange juice
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 tablespoon honey
5 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute. Increase the heat to high, then add the orange juice, brown sugar, and honey and bring to a simmer. Stir in the apples, allspice, and salt and pepper, cover, and cook for 5 minutes. Remove the lid and cook until the apples are soft and the liquid has evaporated, about 15 minutes. Serve with pork.

Let me know how you like it, or if you have other recipes for us to try.

Thanks, Smokey Lew

Sounds good Lew. Thanks for sharing. You know we tried some kind of fancy pork chop deal in the oven which called for a slice of apple on top. I chose Granny Smiths for the chore. Whew big mistake. Them thangs was still as sour as a pickle even after cooking. Since I been contemplating the issue perhaps we did not have enough sweet with it in order to counteract the sour. Might shoulda chose a different apple for that task. Whutcha think? Now I was a full grown man before of even hearing the word "chutney" so doubt I have many recipes laying around for it. Folks in God's Country eat mostly Picante Sauce and Chow Chow. I guess I could give out my Chow Chow recipe if I can find it somewhere. On the Picante Pace outta the jar works fairly well.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Sounds good Lew. Thanks for sharing. You know we tried some kind of fancy pork chop deal in the oven which called for a slice of apple on top. I chose Granny Smiths for the chore. Whew big mistake. Them thangs was still as sour as a pickle even after cooking. Since I been contemplating the issue perhaps we did not have enough sweet with it in order to counteract the sour. Might shoulda chose a different apple for that task. Whutcha think? Now I was a full grown man before of even hearing the word "chutney" so doubt I have many recipes laying around for it. Folks in God's Country eat mostly Picante Sauce and Chow Chow. I guess I could give out my Chow Chow recipe if I can find it somewhere. On the Picante Pace outta the jar works fairly well.

bigwheel

I think you are right about not having enough sweetness with the Granny Smith. This recipe has a lot going for it with the brown sugar and the ginger. If you're up to the task, I don't think you'll regret the effort. It's not as easy as opening a jar but it sure is good.

By the way. I sure enjoy your comments. You have a great sense of humor.

Smokey Lew

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom