Go Back   BBQ Central > Recipes > Appetizers, Sides and Desserts
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2007, 03:38 PM   #11
BBQ NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherTailgater
D.B.,
Pinto rather than white beans??
The "once and future beans" recipe seems to be a ranch/Boston hybrid type of recipe. The combination of ingredients I feel overwhelm the white beans. The pinto stands up better to the spiciness of the recipe.

This is one of top favorite bean recipes that I make. I prefer recipes that start from scratch instead of one can of this, one can of that.

D.B.Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:10 PM   #12
Official BBQ Central Mark

Hey DB...your preaching to choir on this one. Them navy bean recipes are a dime a dozen and a person normally wind up with something similar to Van Camps. On the other hand the baked pinto recipes are few and far between. Fondly recall a little bbq joint up in Electra, TX which turned out some mighty fine groceries...which according to most centered around a couple of Nesco roasters on the low (crock pot setting) which contained some kinda spicy crockpotted pinto baked bean type concoction. She sold it by the styrofoam cup full helpy selfy as a side dish. I did not need no bbq just turn me loose on them beans I am thinking your recipe would purty much duplicate them beans hopefully. The only thing that sorta skeers me is dumping all that good hard earned cooked bean juice off of there. Them beans in Electra was swimming in high powered bean juice. I did not detect any veggie broth. Point me to the nearest watering hole. Thanks.

bigwheel

bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:19 PM   #13
BBQ NOOB

I’ve tried it without draining the beans, chicken broth, ham broth, beef broth, and even plain water. The Swanson canned vegetable broth works the best for some reason. Alton had that part right when he came up with the recipe.

I cannot stress this enough. This is a good recipe! The combination of flavors is outstanding. I’ve played around with this recipe since it first aired 5 or 6 years ago. If you compare my version to Alton’s you will see nothing has really changed. His original version was good I just made it better and a way to cook it more consistent.

Bigwheel – I hear ya. Home cooked beans are the best. It’s sad to see mom and pop places go the way of the dodo. Chain restaurants just took something good and turned it into something ok. I get sad sometimes when I think about all of the great recipes that were lost.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:54 PM   #14
Official BBQ Central Mark

Well you musta been a former timeshare salesman cuz you got me convinced Can you write upside down by any chance?

bigwheel
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:03 PM   #15
BBQ NOOB

LOL! No I wasn't and I can't.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:29 AM   #16
Cooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.B.Cooper

Bigwheel – I hear ya. Home cooked beans are the best. It’s sad to see mom and pop places go the way of the dodo. Chain restaurants just took something good and turned it into something ok. I get sad sometimes when I think about all of the great recipes that were lost.
Amen, brother! I'm probably a little older than many on here, in my mid 50's, and have seen many things change over the years. Some have been for the better while others have not been. The loss of many local "joints" is not one of the good things.
PantherTailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 01:40 PM   #17
Cooker

I tried Bill's recipe Friday night with a couple of modifications for personal taste and it was EXCELLENT. I added more green pepper and a LOT more onion than a family size portion using two cans of 15 oz beans would have called for. I used a teaspon of fennel seed and I think that was a little too much for the size of the recipe. I will cut that back to 1/2 teaspon next time around and use 1/2 Green Pepper and a small onion.

The blend of flavors was outstanding! The fennel seed and sausage combination is very nice.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:45 PM   #18

Told ya....another convert!

May not be what many consider a traditional bbq baked bean recipe, but
it's dang good.

Agreed on the fennel...I use a little less. But just a little.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:12 PM   #19
Cooker

I tried Alton Brown's recipe today. Followed it pretty closely except for using 1 can of Veggie broth and bean water to make the four cups and I didn't have a cast iron Dutch Oven large enough.

I really like the recipe but I tend to agree with Coop that it has a lot of bacon fat and the after taste is a wee bit strong but otherwise it's very, very good.

Next time around I'm going to try the recipe with Coop's modifications and compare to the original.

Ready for the oven:

Done:
Old 06-16-2007, 12:51 PM   #20

well it sure as heck looks good!
Man do I love beans.