White BBQ sauce recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Living here in North Alabama (Huntsville) surrounded by great BBQ joints (Lawler's, Whitt's, Greenbrier, and Gibson's) I know what it takes to make a great white BBQ sauce is.

In some parts of the country people does not know what white BBQ sauce is. if you dont, PLEASE grill you some chicken and use this sauce to pour over it. It will make the chicken to best you have eaten.

Well here ya go:

3/4 cup Mayo
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/8 cup vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp of Wizzy's Smokin BBQ rub
1/2 tsp black pepper

Wisk everything together and let sit in the fridge for 12-24 hours before using/tasting. You will need to allow all ingredients to mingle for the set hours above this will allow everything to mix. And if you dont, the sauce will taste awful. Recipe makes 3/4 - 1 cup of sauce, just enough for 1 dinner :)

Great on BBQ chicken, pork, and even hush puppies :)

Thanks
Mike Whisante
Owner - http://www.smokinrub.com

Just loves that Big Bob Gibson Alabammy white sauce. Sometimes I just drink it outta the bottle. Now aint seen a recipe for it which called for Whizzing in it. You sure about this? :LOL:

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Just loves that Big Bob Gibson Alabammy white sauce. Sometimes I just drink it outta the bottle. Now aint seen a recipe for it which called for Whizzing in it. You sure about this? :LOL:

bigwheel
LOL - trust me, my recipe is just as good :) We love this stuff here in Bama!

Here is the sauce on top of a smoked chicken half I did the other night
img_173007_0_0933b0b913457f67c687bc62798c1654.jpg

Ya know I made up a batch once upon a time and found it was real tasty to use as a dipping sauce for cold leftover brisket. Also aint bad to dip Mickey D's french fries in it. Sort of an adult version of Ranch dressing. I'm still trying to figger out this deal of whizzing in it. Do a person whiz directly into bottle or maybe do it take a funnel? Can a lady do it? Thanks.

bigwheel

JamesB said:
Here is another version.

Big Bob Gibson's White Sauce

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup vinegar
1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon lemon
2 tablespoons apple cider

Combine all ingredients in bowl and mix well.

BigBob Gibson cornered the market for white sauce here in N.Alabama but their red sauce is to die for

Well that Red Sauce sounds good to me. Ain't never seen if for sale around these parts..but then aint never seen none of the white stuff for sale either. How do a person clone it? Thanks.

bigwheel

Naw it aint a bit rare. Seems like the recipe for the white sauce been floating around in cyberspace since Algore invented it.

bigwheel

White Sauce

From experience - the "letting it hang out" in the fridge for a day or so before using is IS the key, regardless of which of the various recipes you decide to use. Miss Myra's in Cahaba Heights just outside of Birmingham also has an awesome white sauce. The first white sauce I had, and maybe still my favorite, is at Billy's Taven in Mountain Brook. It's kind of a Hoity Toity yuppie bar, but it's been there for about 30 years and the white sauce is killer on just about anything you put it on. I used to have the recipe for it - pretty similar to what's been posted here but it also included a dash of dry mustard, if I recall correctly.

Pat

rumor also has it that the Gibson's recipe that has been
released is missing a key ingredient or 2. Can't say as I
blame em.

Anyway, I did make it several years ago and tried it on
chicken. It was good, but it weren't so good it made me
want to try it again. But that's just me.....I love grilled
chicken in several different ways...I think most folks
try the white sauce as a novelty kind of thing and go
back to their favorites. Fun to try though, I love tasting
different regional flavors.

Interesting that some use it as a dip for fries or veggies....sounds
kind of similar to that yum yum sauce the Japanese steak houses
make...I've made that too and it's pretty similar.

Re: White Sauce

Double dittos with you on that one Smitty. Nearly everything tastes mo betta the next day. Now can think of a few exceptions mainly dealing with chicken pork and fried foods so speaking generally of course. Little dry mustard never hurt anything. Might be the mysterious missing ingredient Cappy was speaking of..uh huh.

bigwheel

Smitty881 said:
From experience - the "letting it hang out" in the fridge for a day or so before using is IS the key, regardless of which of the various recipes you decide to use. Miss Myra's in Cahaba Heights just outside of Birmingham also has an awesome white sauce. The first white sauce I had, and maybe still my favorite, is at Billy's Taven in Mountain Brook. It's kind of a Hoity Toity yuppie bar, but it's been there for about 30 years and the white sauce is killer on just about anything you put it on. I used to have the recipe for it - pretty similar to what's been posted here but it also included a dash of dry mustard, if I recall correctly.

Pat

Well have bumped into quite a few folks who have voiced similar sentiments on the Alabammy White Sauce. Can't argue with individual taste preferences of course..but I just love the stuff. I like to drink it straight from the jug. Should make a good marinate also. As I learned early in my bbq/grilling hobby Mayonaise is an excellent marinade just fresh outta the jar. Now I figgered it would burn when exposed to a fire but apparently it dont. Now you start putting other good tasting non-scorching stuff with it...should be a lot mo betta as a marinate. Or just play like its a dipping sauce like Hidden Valley Ranch. That should get a person over their aversion to the stuff purty easy. Just guessing of course. Sides I hate to give folks from Alabammy any rude and crass opinyawns about the kinda sauce some of them like. Person do that might have to move down there and buy a double wide one day...and somebody in the trailer park remember whut you said one time..and they start letting the poodle poop in your yard. Person got to think of all the angles on this kinda stuff ya know. May need to borrow their storm cellar some dark night:) That state seems to be a tornado magnet. Tornadoes and devorcesses always cost a fella a trailer house down there. Or so I heered one time.

bigwheel

Great post guys. The white sauce sounds real good to me and I'm going to put it on my short list. Love the education on things Alabammy. Only knew about the banjo on the knee thing before this. :LOL:

oliviapitson said:
Add bbq salads in your meal to make a perfect accompaniment. You can suggest me interesting vegetarian BBQ salad recipe.

spambbq salads
I did NOT know that you could have vegetarian BBQ. :? :? :roll:

Hey! I've heard about BBQ 'tater chips, so maybe it is possible. :twisted: :twisted:

BOB

Back
Top Bottom