tough decisions!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

learning in kc

Assistant Cook
hello everyone!! i am new to the forum. i bought my wife an ipod for her birthday, and once i found out what a podcast was i pretty much borrowed this thing for good.. i listened to gregs show.. actually im about half way through, to catching up to today.. i just want an opinion from other people interested like me. i love bbq. but im only three yrs deep.. after greg said that my smoke n pro was a hunk of junk, i am looking at the wsm. i live in kansas city, MO. and love the hobby. ok.. so here is the scenerio. i love budweiser, hence why i am typing a novel here. i am terrified of raw food.. and i cook for a lot of people on special occasions.. so i bought a big brinkmann gas grill. i start all my food over kingsford on my pit, and get a good hash mark. then i throw everything on the gas grill (inderect) and let it bake in the gasser for an hour or so.. burgers, chicken pork.. you name it.. i just can't grill food and know if its done.. call me a rookie if you like. but i do make a good brisket.. (ok i finish it off in the oven.. don't shoot me) well all the help is good.. i just started this tonight so work with me.. i just feel that living in kansas city i should at least be able to do this.. thanks for the time

jay.

Great info Stogie; and welcome aboard Jay. Listen to what Stogie says, he's forgotten more about cooking and BBQ then most of us will ever learn.

Jay, I'll add another voice to the WSM recommendation. It's a great cooker. And use the Amazon.com link at the top of the page -- good price and free delivery!

--John

thanks guys..

last night i was frustrated. so bare with me. this site is awesome.. you can learn as much as you want to read.. i love the fact that there are so many smart people on here, and would lend you there smoker if needed.. great people great forum... thanks again for your help. very informative.

thanks again
jay

Jay,

My wife just bought be me the 22.5 in. WSM last month and it has been great. Its my first smoker so I'm not going to try to approach this as if I know what I am talking about. All I can say is that I have used it twice now and once you get a hold of the temperature control you can for the most part peg it in where you want it and go on your way. Everyone who told her this model is great for beginners was absolutely correct. (Who knows though, a guy with 3 years under his belt might be looking for something else). I too am in KC and can confidently say the brisket I put out last weekend was better than anything the local joints were serving.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom