Sriracha Hot Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I started mine this morning (trip to the store) and trying it right now....damn good stuff! Till I seen the recipe posted here I never gave it a second look on the shelf at the store.

New permanent bottle in my collection.

img_82419_0_18db5bc72d9dfff5078318b93233b9d6.jpg

FYI fresh garlic in fresh sausage will make it look pink in the middle even after it's cooked....I think the garlic gives off nitrates......not sure why I'm getting a nice blue stripe in the hot sauce....

My garlic is really getting blue now...I'm also thinking about adding some lime juice to the finished product....I'm going to process it Sat....I gave it a taste today and it's coming along nicely....

Well mine ain't turning blue. I did at a dozen black pepper corns when I started. Doesn't seem to be absorbing any more vinegar.

I just had to look it up.

Garlic contains sulfur compounds that might react with copper to form copper sulfate, a blue or blue-green compound. The amount of copper needed for this reaction is very small and is frequently found in normal water supplies. The other sources of copper might be the butter or lemon juice. The garlic is safe to eat. To prevent this in the future, do not refrigerate garlic and store the bulbs in dry air for 32 days at above 70 F to 80 F before use to prevent formation of the green or blue-green pigments.

I had an opportunity to taste some commercial Sriracha sauce today. Flavors are pretty close to what I got in the pickle jar. Though it was blood red. Food coloring maybe? Don't think mine will be that red, but it will be hotter. :LOL:

I wonder if this stuff is going to be safe to process in the house...I'm wondering if I should take it outside? I'd hate to pepper spray the family...

Diva Q said:
I just had to look it up.

Garlic contains sulfur compounds that might react with copper to form copper sulfate, a blue or blue-green compound. The amount of copper needed for this reaction is very small and is frequently found in normal water supplies. The other sources of copper might be the butter or lemon juice. The garlic is safe to eat. To prevent this in the future, do not refrigerate garlic and store the bulbs in dry air for 32 days at above 70 F to 80 F before use to prevent formation of the green or blue-green pigments.

I feel better now! No copper in my water :LOL: Since I live in a mining district, that is good news. ;)

It could be the brass top for the canning jar I have mine in or...could be you are using already processed garlic.....

wittdog said:
It could be the brass top for the canning jar I have mine in or...could be you are using already processed garlic.....

Could be that my water is radio active :shock: Wait, I didn't use any water. The garlic was "Christophers" brand chopped from Costco.

The hot sauce is done...very good...very tastey...I think next time I would cut the garlic to 1/3 of a jar...I'll post pics later If I get the chance..I did add some lime juice and I was really happy with the small bit of cinnamon and allspice I added to the hab garlic sauce...it gave it real nice flavor..The chipolte is sweet and smoky very nice

wittdog said:
The hot sauce is done...very good...very tastey...I think next time I would cut the garlic to 1/3 of a jar...I'll post pics later If I get the chance..I did add some lime juice and I was really happy with the small bit of cinnamon and allspice I added to the hab garlic sauce...it gave it real nice flavor..The chipolte is sweet and smoky very nice

Did you are during the blender stage or at the onset? :?:

Our local DeliMama, who is into herbal medicines, strongly urged me to let the stuff sit on the counter for a full weeks. Thinks it's ok to go another week?

I don't see why not vinegar is a preservative...I don't know if you need to let it sit for a nother week...my tastes great and it sat for 1 week...I would think that after it gets processed it would taste even better cuz there is more surface exposed to the vinegar...

Two weeks later mine looked like this:
SrirachiaHotChileBrew.jpg

Into the blender:
SrirachaHotChileBlender.jpg

After leaving on puree until a smooth texture was achieved at got this:
SricachaHotChileChip.jpg

Clung to the corn chip pretty good. Strong Garlic flavor as one would expect. Heat hits on the sides of the tounge. Didn't use any sugar to start but is suprisingly sweet. I did add a tsp of black peppercorns at that time, used chopped garlic from a bottle but other than that true to the recipe. I was hoping for a red color, suppose it's the habs I stuck in there. Overall, pretty tastey.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom