My hot sauce recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bknox

Head Chef
Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my f
Since the size of peppers etc vary I create recipes by weight. I use my postal scale. I love making sauces although it TAKES FOREVER to get throughit. I have several quarts of various sauces sitting on my fridge.

We call this Habanapple Hot Pepper Sauce:

6 oz Habanero Peppers, stems removed
1 Pineapple, skinned and core removed, chunked
3 oz. Japones Chilis, stemmed removed and re-hydrated for 1 hour
2 Tablespoons Molasses
4 oz. Salt, liquid measure
2 Tablespoons Thyme
1 Tablespoon Cracked Allspice
1/3 cup Packed Brown Sugar
2 cups vinegar

Grind up the peppers with the pineapple and mix in everything else. Let sit in a clean jar with an air lock for a month or longer shaking every couple to 4 days. This recipe varies depending on what I can get fresh but basically this is it. It is fairly hot and you can adjust the thickness by adding more vinegar. Laso I have replaced the Pineapple with Mango (Habamango?) and it was excellent as well!

Enjoy!
Bryan

Holy [smilie=dancing_cow.gif] that looks hot. I have some cowhorn peppers. I wonder it that would work with them?

I wouldn't say super hot. it is still really tasty. Somewhere I have a recipe for an Island Hot Sauce, with clove, allspice etc that is good but a bit thick.

I would think your cowhorn peppers would work fine. I have gotten into the habbit of using the dry peppers, except for the Habs, as I can get them all year. This year I am growing Jalepeno and Cayenne and may whip up some hot sauce from fresh peppers when they are ripe. I am sure there will be a difference and for the better.

Do sound very good. Guess this is the first recipe I seen which called for fermentation. Will it make you drunk if you eat enough of it?

bigwheel

I started aging hot sauces by mistake or maybe because I was lazy, can't remember. Since I have read about aging pepper mashes but it is different with actual fermentaion, which I am familiar with.

It basically just ages. It doen not really produce Co2 although I did place an air-lock on the bottle. But that is to keep gnats from dying in it.

There is to much acid in it from the vinegar to ferment and I would imagine the capsicum oil from the peppers hinders that process as well.

The good news is I have never had to refrgerate any of it.

Here is what it looks like.

airlock_HS.jpg

I love making hot sauces but like I said, it takes a while to get through it.

Brian, you must be gassing something off to be using an air lock instead of a cork or can?? Have you tried other fruits with the pineapple such as peaches??

Ok gotcha on the fermentation deal. Bet that is some fine grazings. Be just the ticket for empty half gallons of Ezra. It come with a free cork and is already total sterilized ya know? If that hot peppa mash get to frisky it just blow off the cork not matter whut kinda gas it doing the pushin. Smart thinnin Senor Queeks Draw. Thanks.

bigwheel

I had to eat something. Beer o:clock came a bit early today.

The air lock is for when I make beer and the photo is a couple years old. Mainly it was to keep the bugs out in case they are brave enough to get in it. Now I have a couple of olive oil bottles that have a ceramic lids similar to a Grolsh Beer bottle and I leave it loose while it ages. I am pretty new to making hot sauce that is worth eating and definately not a hot sauce scientist although that would be great to see on a business card, Hot Sauce Scientist, That's Mister Hot Sauce Scientist. But when I started I felt I would rather be safe than sorry. We had a bad experience with gas build up in some peach wine a few years back and the kitchen cieling was never really the same. The same experience with hot sauce could have been very unpleasant.

Personally I think the airlock looks cool but I have never really noticed it release gas like beer or wine will and bubble on a regular basis.

And yes empty liquor bottles are great as they are really solid but getting it empty will just about kill you or you will die laughing at whoever is helping you. I will try and find the other sauce recipes and post them.

Back
Top Bottom