Looking for a Good commercial Dry Pork Rub

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

3 Olives

Senior Cook
I posted the following in the Member Intros Section:I've been using homemade and store bought rubs and they've run the gamut from good to bad. I'll be starting a thread asking for recommendations if anyone is interested.
Thanks for your time.

I'm looking for a good commercial Pork Rub. I have read the previous threads on the subject but didn't find a lot of recommendations for commercial rubs.
Thanks again.

Well there is pork and then there is pork. Which part of da hawg we discussing here? Know some big boys who use Harley's Sweet Rub on spare ribs with astounding success. Or you can buy the regular and add brown sugar which is whut his daughter or DIL say last time I ordered some once upon a time. I cut my teeth on Headcountry All Purpose. It very hard to beat on all meats in my book. Main thing about it is it aint real salty. Like Joe Ames say one time.."It aint often the best which wins in a cooking contest but rather the least offensive." That narrative just stuck in my haid for some reason:) Headcountry is unoffensive.

bigwheel

bigwheel - Thanks for the reply. I'll mainly be cooking butts but will also be cooking ribs.

Ok give Headcountry all purpose a shot. Tell em uncle bigwheel sent ya and tell him (Danny Head) I am still in love with his sister. I forget her name right now. Also happen to mention the free samples is long gone. Now got a hot tip they now have some kinda marinate that is a killer. Aint used it course cuz they aint sent me none. Don't let em sell you any Radiches Bor Da Lay sauce. I still got a few bottles of that junk left over from a case of that stuff bought about 10 years ago. They musta been getting a big cut off that action. They have some sauce which is very good chicken glaze when spiked up with a little honey. Get Regular not the Hot cuz the sign mean whut it says. But we speaking hawgs here so I will skip that part:) Also make a great base for a finishing sauce for pushed pork. In case you know any yankees who eat that stuff. Have to add a few other thangs such as Ezra Brooks etc. on the pulled pork deal.

http://www.headcountry.com

bigwheel

Well I hate to argufy too especially with smart folks such as yourself ..so will say your corrects on the TexasBBQrub at least as it applies to chicken which is all I've tried it on so far. In fact think you the one who sent it..thanks:) Now tasting it outta the bag I was determined to not like it cuz all I could taste was sugar and cumin...but it translated out very good on the chicken. Now think it was the original and believe I would want something a bit mo assertive on pigs and cows..which I'm sure by now they have a kicked up version or maybe did back in them days. Who knows? I had some bad timing with Larry and Gator's stuff..in that I was way mo heavy into grilling on the gasser than smoking during the time frame they was perfecting the formulas. Had some..but nothing to use it on. The predicament lasted till I got over wanting to puke at the smell of woodsmoke..which lasted a few years after we quit comp cooking. Smoking mo these days since snaggin the electrified Brinkmann. Finally got around to rubbing down two briskets with a combo of some of Larry's stuff mixed about 50/50 with Obie Ques Steak Maker. Turned out real good. Tasted some of Gator's stuff outta the bag and was a little overwhelming chili powder flavored to me so I never got around to using it. Notice he just won some big award with it the other day...so either some folks like T-bones with chili powder on em..or he changed up the recipe...or maybe he was right in that the chili powder flavor dissapates itself when it heats up. Hey that might be it :LOL:

bigwheel

JamesB said:
Now I don't like to get into arguments with Uncle Bigwheel or anything, and that Head Country is good stuff (I like it on chicken) and we really like their sauce but...

Check out the Texas BBQ Rub. http://forum.texasbbqrub.com/

I love the original blend on anything pork! I make a lot of my own rubs and have tried about everything on the market at one time or another and this stuff is good! Just about stopped making my own because of it.

A few other commercial rubs that I've tried and really liked are

Dizzy Dust
http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/HTMLrubs/dizzydust.html

Also Sucklebusters Rubs are very good as well. I like the Hoochie Mama rub...
http://www.sucklebusters.com/

Smokin' Guns Hot BBQ rub. You can find it and many others here.
http://www.hawgeyesbbq.com/

Wolfe rubs are pretty good too, but I can't seem to fine the website right now.

Hope this helps!

Yeah I heard that rumor. Sad news. Hell my favorite watering hole went outta bizness. Course it didn't effect me much cuz I was mad at the owner and aint set foot in the place in a year or so. So it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy:) That whut happens when folks elect commies for Prez.

bigwheel

John Willingham's "W'ham" (available at www.willinghams.com) and Mike Mills' "Magic Dust" (available at www.17thstreetbarbecue.com/ ) are the two commercial rubs I like and use. In addition, Elizabeth Karmel's book, "Soaked, Slathered and Seasoned: A Complete Guide to Flavoring Food for the Grill" has recipies for Magic Dust (p. 199) and W'ham (p. 200),as well as for several other dry rubs. I have made and used very successfully her Barbecue Circuit Rub (P. 199), Grilling Guru Rub (P. 205) and Sweet Kansas City Barbecue Rub (P. 207) There are a whole lot of sauces, mops, marinades, etc. Good book.

The Magic Dust recipe is outstanding. I use it in the smoked baked beans we serve when we cater parties. Take a large can of bushes beans and saute up some onions and green peppers....spinkle a little magic dust into them and you have some of the best baked beans you will ever eat. It may be a lttle much for using as a bark producing rub on butts to my notion but a little dab will do you on almost everything I have used it on.

Bad Byrons Butt Rub was always one of my favorites but I cant buy it in town here anymore. I am sure I could order it but have been blending my own for years.

Back
Top Bottom