Josh's Sweet Heat BBQ Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MSstateGuy

Assistant Cook
HI Guys,

Please be gentle. This is my first time posting a sauce that I formulated from scratch. I believe this is a well balanced sauce for those who like sweet mixed with a little heat. Here's the recipe:

1/4 cup Heinz Ketchup
2 tbs Grandma's Molasses
1 tbs Smuckers Caramel
1/2 tbs Onion Powder
1/4 tbs Black Pepper
1/4 tbs Chipotle powder
1/4 tbs Paprika Powder
1/4 tbs Chili Powder
1/4 tbs Accent Flavor Enhancer
1 dash of Garlic Powder
2 tbs White Vinegar
2 tbs Hickory Liquid Smoke

Hope y'all enjoy. I would greatly appreciate some feedback from the pros. Thanks.

MSstateGuy

Last edited:
It's cool that you have gone far enough to make your own sauce, now we need to see pictures of your sauce in action.

It does look interesting .. The late great Greg Rempe would be turning over in his grave adding Liquid Smoke :rolleyes: If you do a cook with it I too would like to see a picture.

Going to do a quickie on the cast iron hibachi grill this evening. Stay tuned for for the pictures. Nothing fancy though...just maybe some chicken strips over apple wood. I would prefer to do some thighs or breast but I don't have any. The sauce tastes great from spoon to mouth but let's see how it does with some grill and smoke action. Bbquzz, I know purist stray away from the liquid smoke so that part of the sauce is completely optional. Especially if you are going to be smoking it. I like bbq sauce on everything so that little smokey hint is nice on things that aren't necessarily smoked if you catch my drift.

Thanks for the input guys.

MSstateGuy

More of a tease MSstateGuy, Greg started this Board and has the internet radio show and he talks about Liquid Smoke like it is toxic waste. Can't say I've ever had Liquid Smoke, but if you don't die from the test of your new sauce I may have to give it a try, I do like sweet.

SO...drum roll...here are my results. (See attachments) Bbquzz, the new batch I made, I left out the liquid smoke and let the apple wood work its magic and it turned out amazing. This sauce hits the tip of the tongue sweet and when you swallow you get a nice kick of heat. The vinegar and smokey goodness helps the transition between the two. I can say that I am really happy with this sauce.

MSstateGuy

Edit: I also only added a dash of onion powder because I believe the ketchup adds almost enough for my taste. I also upped the amount of Chipotle because I like spicy.

Attachments

• Fresh Batch.jpg
    Fresh Batch.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 437
  • Simmering on the  Grill.jpg
    Simmering on the Grill.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 427
  • On the Chicken.jpg
    On the Chicken.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 446
  • Plated.jpg
    Plated.jpg