Dry rubs on steak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What's funny is that I have some of the Western Sizzle Steak stuff downstairs, but I never think to use it, and I'm always afraid to use it on what I feel are great steaks that I don't want to ruin.

By the by, did 3 huge rib eyes from Sam's Club last night on the weber kettle. These things totaled 4.31 pounds. Lit a whole chimney of Kingsford with some lump, then seared them and then cooked indirect until med rare. Sauteed up some red onion and portabello mushrooms in some garlic butter to top them off.

They were some of the best steaks I've ever done.

I always rub steaks--even the straight grass-feds. I vary the rub based on the sides. Last night I did 4 huge filets mignons (they were on sale). Since I was doing a side/topping of sauteed mushrooms with a little cream, pureed roasted garlicand fresh thyme I rubbed with crushed green peppercorns, dry thyme, allspice, cinnamon, and nutmeg. The last three ingredients were in very small proportion to the others; those three work well with beef, the nutmeg is great with mushrooms and with fresh spinach (the other side, wilted in butter with garlic).

I salted the steaks first, then applied the rub--just a dusting--over the salt.

Kevin, again, you're saying cinnamon and nutmeg compliment steak?

Anyone wanna see the first ever BBQ4U Iron Chef battle between Kevin and Hoss?

Yes, that's what I'm saying, counter-intuitive though it seems.

As you're well aware, searing creates all kinds of little flavors as the heat reacts with the carbs on the steak's surface. Nutmeg is one that, when used in a steak rub, supports the lower, meat-sweet flavor notes, cinnamon the higher tones. Allspice falls somewhere between the two. Proportion is key of course. All three spices are detectable when mixed with the other rub ingredients but should not be once cooked.

I always use Durkee Kansas City Steak Seasoning or Durkee Steak Dust. Both give the steak a really good flavor.
:horse:

Salt, Pepper and Garlic for me...why Garlic...Garlic don't need no reason.

However, KK's rub does sound interesting. KK, can you share more precise measurements of the allspice, cinnamon, and nutmeg? I want the WOW factor too. It really sounds good.

I highly reccomend Caroline's Rubs Aussie Steak Blend,,, I think they have a banner on our front page....I keep a couple of bags at all times.

Back
Top Bottom