Dry Rib Rub from Bobby Flay..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigwheel

Master Chef
Have determined to cook up some spares today or maybe tomorrow. Found myself without any suitable rib rubs. Googled up this one from Food TV. Seems to have got a bunch of 5 star ratings from various parts of the country. The general consensus of the reviewers was it was too salty so a bunch of them cut the salt ration in half. Anyway..got it made up and slightly tweaked waiting for the Little Bride to return from Wally World with some spares. My fancy Hungarian Paprika is about ten years old. Hope that dont hurt it any.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 tablespoon granulated onion
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon white pepper

Directions

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Store in an airtight container. Pack on the dry rub onto your next rack of ribs.

* Restaurant Recipe

This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. Food Network Kitchens have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make representation as to the

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bbq- ... index.html

Well had some snackers ready a short while ago and the Warden and the Weenie Dawg and the Chewawa thought it was good. Ya know sorta cross referenced the recipe with Danny Gauldens rib rub and if you leave out the Cumin and add more paprika and brown sugar it basic the same recipe. I seem to recall when Danny posted his it was some kinda typo to put so much peppa in it..think he even issued a retraction saying it was hotter than he intended. Apparently some folks didnt get the message and made it any way. Very good stuff. Will light a person plumb up. Reckon that red head goose stole Danny's recipe? That would account for the over saltiness. Yeppers bet that whut happened.

Danny Gauldens Pork Spare Rib Rub

Serving Size : 1
Ingredients:
Amount Measure Ingredient - Preparation Method
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon cayenne
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon white pepper
1/2 cup paprika
1 cup brown sugar

This may be a little hot for some folks, so one may want to reduce the cayenne a little...but that's the way they like'em out here. I believe the brown sugar is a must, and when it caramelizes, it produces that rich dark cherry-red color, plus it taste good! After the ribs come off the pit, I baste them with a quick coat of an old Southern recipe of vinegar, mustard, and brown sugar, for an added deeper, richer, cherry appearance, and flavor. Works great for me, and when you open your BBQ House, you might want to give it a try!

Big,

Thought the Flay recipe looked too savory and not sweet enough for every day pork 'q. If I wanted to go that savory, I'd use a (well my own actually) basic beef rub. On the other hand the Gaulden recipe looked too sweet to me. But wotthehell wotthehell. Why not do something different now and then?

Just an FYI, but brown sugar is only white sugar plus molasses. White sugar caramelizes at around 340F, and brown sugar will neither caramelize nor turn anything red at normal pit temps. I don't think the molasses gets any darker at "normal" pit temps below 300F

Your "cherry red" comes from smoke and paprika, mostly. The moisture and color of the mop help bring it out.

BDL

Well I thought the Bobby Flay rub was pretty good cept not quite salty enough. Should have added the salt it called for I guess. Now I did cut way back on the peppa ration. Danny's recipe translates out to hot it my book. Was aware how brown sugar is made thanks. Danny is the one who thinks his glaze turns the ribs red not me. It always turned my ribs green for some reason.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom