Cornstarch in your rub?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LittleD

Assistant Cook
I keep seeing cornstarch listed in steak dry rub recipes, but for the life of me I can't figure out why. Any thoughts?

Well not sure on that. I never seen any ho made recipes which called for its use. I have seen recipes for fried foods which suggest its use. I think it supposed to make fried foods mo crispy or something. Might work similar to that as a dry rub ingredient. Might make a brisket mo cripsy..yeah. Thats the ticket.

Sounds like some folks might throw it in to help develop a nice crust then, huh? Which is something I sure love.

never seen it either, but then I don't look for steak rubs.

America's Test Kitchen reccomends using corn starch on fried pork chops
to develop a crust...I'm sure the theory is the same for steaks.

Well a nice crispy brisket is a real blessing. If that cornstarch help achieve the goal I will vote in favor. Now if a person didnt have any do you reckon twice as much flour would work just as well? That is the suggested ratio for gravy making anyway. I have a feeling it just mix with the brisket grease and turn it into a giant gooey morass of evil tidings which stick to the grate. I have kin who live near Missouri so somebody gonna have to show me on this deal..or at least splains it where a simpleton can understand the ramifications etc.

So I did a quick search ( http://www.cookscountry.com ) and found this :

Char-Grilled Steaks

The perfect steaks are salty, sizzling, almost singed on the outside, and juicy, red, and buttery within. We wanted to achieve this contrast on an everyday grill. Here’s what we discovered:

Test Kitchen Discoveries

In order to achieve a respectable crust, the steaks’ exterior must be dry. After trying numerous drying-out methods, including salting and aging, we considered the freezer. The freezer’s intensely dry environment sufficiently dehydrated the steaks’ exteriors, and since we were only freezing them for a short time, the interiors remained tender and juicy.
Rub the steaks with a mixture of salt and cornstarch before freezing. The salt assures they are well-seasoned, and cornstarch—a champ at absorbing moisture—allowed us to cut the freezing time in half.

Back
Top Bottom