Coffee grinder for spices and peppers? - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Recipes > BBQ Sauces, Sops, Dry Rubs and Brines
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2009, 11:06 AM   #1
God O'Que

I have an El cheapo grinder made by Mr Coffee I have had for over 10 years that shows no signs of quitting.

Weber Jumbo Joe
UDS
Weber Q100
Santa Maria Style Grill

John
Vermin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
Official BBQ Central Mark

Dittos on the el cheapo models. I got Mr. Coffee which seems like was about 12 bucks. Been going strong for 10 yrs at least.

bigwheel

bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:38 AM   #3

They have several different models at Wal-Mart under the $30 price point unless you're opposed to shopping at Wal-Mart, you should be able to get one there around $20 bucks or so, or even cheaper.
Rubbed, Smoked, and Sauced Competition BBQ Team-
22 1/2" WSM, 2 18 1/2" WSM's, 22 1/2" Weber Kettle
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:30 AM   #4
Baby Back

Fryar Tuck -I had one of the old Mr Coffee grinders for 8 years before the smoke escaped from the moder and it quit. (everyone knows electronics runs on smoke, once you let the smoke out they never work again)
Now I have a $15 Capresso. (Just a fancy looking Mr Coffee) My issue with this one is, if I put the lid back on the grinder with spice in it, some spice gets trapped between the lid and the grinder. Then the next time you take the lid off it spills out every.

I like the old Mr Coffee design better. Oah and never grind coffee in your "spice" grinder. Don't ask me how I know.......

JamesB - I never thought of using a burr grinder for spice. But then again that is what I use for my coffee.
Keith F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:38 PM   #5

Smart thinning on not grinding coffee in it. I tried it one time and it tasted like a cross twixt cayenne peppa and a spice market in Calcutta. Anybody got any tricks for cleaning those things so your basil dont smell like cumin? Thanks.

bighweel
Old 11-06-2009, 02:59 PM   #6
God O'Que

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel
Smart thinning on not grinding coffee in it. I tried it one time and it tasted like a cross twixt cayenne peppa and a spice market in Calcutta. Anybody got any tricks for cleaning those things so your basil dont smell like cumin? Thanks.

bighweel
I sometimes put some stale bread and then turn it on in mine then take a took pick or wooden skewer to get all the little crevices clean then wipe with a paper towel.
Weber Jumbo Joe
UDS
Weber Q100
Santa Maria Style Grill

John
Vermin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:25 PM   #7

Just get one from a yard sale or garage sale. I like Malabar pepper. Might cost a tad more, but well worth it if ya like pepper.

Pigs
Team Gruber Mister BBQ
KCBS Citified Judge 8282
Tomorrow is just your future yesterday
Pigs On The Wing BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:45 PM   #8
Baby Back

From slashfood.com on cleaning a grinder

"Coarse sea salt is a favorite, but you can also use some uncooked rice (if it's not too hard for the grinder - look at the results!), baking soda, bread or sugar. Yes, sometimes soap and water can work as well, but that all depends on the grinder your have.

Also try to keep in mind that some things shouldn't go near your beloved spice grinder. As Cooking for Engineers warns, cloves and allspice should stay far away."
Keith F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:48 PM   #9

Wow yall is just so smart to think of all these remedies. Unfortunantly or maybe fortunantly I have tried all the cures. Now since James B. is from over in Irving I know he is part o the upper crust type folks. So this surely don't apply to his sphere of influence but the only reason I ever ground up coffee beans is I got some free about 10 years ago. Over in Foat Wuth we like Randy Travis in that we buy our Kroger Brand already ground. Tastes bestes from a dirty cup. Bright red lipstick stain around the edge if you get my drift..wink wink. Little Baileys to take the edge off the overnight libations. Bloody Marys an hour after sunrise..then the real drinking starts. I always love to comp cook. I forget whut the bbq supposed to taste like sometimes. Who knows? Will testify in Tejas sweet rules on ribs. Thats all I know.

bigwheel
Old 11-07-2009, 12:20 AM   #10

Tuck

The consensus is go cheap on the spice grinder. Pigs is right, if you see one at a garage sale, grab it.

bigwheel I must respectively disagree regarding your disdain for fresh ground coffee beans. Perhaps, I have a bias since I live in the Pacific northwest, home of Starbucks but from my perspective fresh ground beans beat the bejeesus out of ground canned coffee. Regarding the Baileys and bloody marys in the early am, you're spot on.

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm."
George Orwell
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote