Ancho Rub

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shawn White

Sous Chef
1/4C sugar
1/3C McCormicks Ancho powder
1/2 Tbsp granulated garlic
1/2 Tbsp onion powder
1 tsp celery pepper
1/2 tsp ground corriander
1 tsp coarse black pepper
1/3 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp marjoram
1 tsp dried cilantro leaves

This rub was awesome on my last chuck roll.

No, we sell dry rubs. I am thinking of offering dry chilis though. I live just outside of Chicago in a neighborhood mainly populated with Spanish cultures. We have great markets and I can get almost any type of pepper you could think of.

Over the years I have become dependant on using Ancho, Guajillo, Passila, Cascabel peppers (mild chilis), etc as you can not beat the flavor of fresh ground chilis. They are smoky and almost like chocolate when toasted first. My brother on the other hand lives in Virginia and has a hard time loceting some of these peppers.

I think purist would appreciate beeing able to have access to these peppers. Just a thought.

A friend who had recently moved to Socorro NM bought a ristra of Socorro chilies. After a few months, knowing they wouldn't keep too long, he decided to make "chili powder" by putting them through the blender. An unexpected result was a kitchen full of chili aerosol. His eyes and all his mucous membranes turned to fire. :shock:

--John 8)

John,

I learned the hard way as well about grinding hot peppers. We ground up some Habs a couple 10 years ago and next thing I knew my brother was dumping a Pepsi in his eye ass he had rubbed it. Not to mention our sinuses etc. For a week I kept getting burns on my skin before I realized the door knobs at my place had the dust on them from us escaping.

Now I use a coffee grinder if I have to grind up hot ones and I let it settle a bit before opening it up. Just rememebr - RESPECT. Typically I will grind the hot one with other stuff or just use ground cayenne and avoid the rash all together.

bknox said:
Good aftertnoon!

Do you purchase Ancho Chili Powder or do you buy the dry chilis and grind them yourself? If you purchase it do you get it at your local market?

Thanks,
Bryan
Hey sorry for the really late reply ... I get McCormicks Ancho chili powder in small jars. It's kinda pricey but really good. It's 100% ground ancho ... no other stuff like garlic, onion and so on like normal 'chili' powder.

I'll update the recipe too ... I quit using the paprika and just use ancho.

You should try buying Ancho's (or any dry mild chili) and grinding them in a coffee grinder. You may be surprised. Also toast them a little in a dry skillet and grind them into a powder. I found there is a huge difference in flavor and sometimes brings out an almost chocolate flavor.

I agree with you about the Paprika, which is powdered red bell. Typically there is little flavor compared to a ground Ancho etc.

Enjoy,
Bryan

bknox said:
You should try buying Ancho's (or any dry mild chili) and grinding them in a coffee grinder. You may be surprised. Also toast them a little in a dry skillet and grind them into a powder. I found there is a huge difference in flavor and sometimes brings out an almost chocolate flavor.

I agree with you about the Paprika, which is powdered red bell. Typically there is little flavor compared to a ground Ancho etc.

Enjoy,
Bryan
I think i just learned that paprika is ground up red bell pepper. thanks!

Changed the name to Ancho Rub.

It's become my staple rub for beef brisket and shoulder cuts. It ends up with a browned veggie taste. Not tried it with pork or poultry.

I'm definitely going to try toasting/grinding my own anchos. Thanks for the tip.

I have a Spanish neighborhood near by with grocery stores. The problem is I need auto-loaders with banana clips to drive in there. It's getting worse to where a buddy and belt feds will be needed next.

Back
Top Bottom