A Pulled Pork-Pulled Beef Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

K Kruger

Senior Cook
I made this the other day for pulled pork sandwiches. I had already made my usual vinegar-mustard sauce to mix in while pulling and to serve on the side but I wanted another sauce that would work with the pork and the vinegar sauce as a topping. I decided to go for a very full-flavored fruity tomato-based sauce with lots of spice and a bit of heat; something in the 'a little goes a long way' camp but something that would stand up well to bread. This sauce worked. A tablespoon or so of it smeared on top of the pile of pork in the sandwich was just right. For my second sandwich I added a splash of the vinegar-mustard sauce on top as well--very tasty. I think this sauce would work well for pulled beef too.

1 1/2 T evoo

2 small onions, peeled, chopped

pinch salt

3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed

1 1/2 T minced or grated fresh ginger

1 12oz can pineapple tidbits in juice

1 28oz can diced tomatoes in juice

1 4" dried New Mexico hot pepper, split, seeded, coarsely torn

3/4 c Zante currants*

1/2 c pineapple vinegar (or substitute plain rice vinegar)

1 t cinnamon

1 t celery seed

1/4 t ground cloves

1/8 t freshly ground nutmeg

1 bay leaf

1 1/2 t dried thyme

1/2 t cumin

1/2 t allspice

1 T molasses

1 T Turbinado sugar

1 T honey

1 T unsalted butter

salt

freshly ground black pepper

juices from the rested meat

In a medium pot over med-high heat, heat the oil till shimmering; add the onion and the pinch of salt; cook, stirring occasionally, till the onion is browned in spots, about 10-12 min. Add the garlic and ginger and cook just till fragrant, about 1 min more.

Add the pineapple and diced tomatoes along with their juices, then add the next eleven ingredients. Stir well and bring to a boil over high heat; reduce the heat to med-low and simmer, covered, till the currants are plump, about 20 min. Remove the bay leaf and discard.

Puree the sauce (in batches if necessary), return to the pot over med-low heat, and add the molasses sugar, and honey; stir till well combined. Add the butter, allow to melt, stirring, then add salt and pepper to taste. Reserve. Reheat before serving, stirring in some rested meat juices from the foil when the meat is removed for slicing/pulling.

* Zante currants are not true currants, they are tiny raisins made from a small variety of seedless grape. They have an fruity, somewhat intense, but less sweet flavor than raisins. They are usually in the raisin/dried fruit section of most markets.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom