Your favorite brand of spaghetti sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm going to be making my famous lasagna here soon, and not being Italian, I don't make my own sauce. What brand do you guys prefer?
I'm sure Kevin and Hoss and some others will show up with a recipe, but
I'd really just like to buy a good one. TIA

Here's one I like for Lasagna Cappy:

2 lbs lean GB
2 tsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic
24 oz tomatoe sauce
5.5 oz tomatoe paste
1/2 C finely chopped green pepper
1/2 medium onion finely chopped
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp garlic salt
1 1/2 tsp fresh oregano leaves finely chopped (fresh is better but dried is OK too)
1/4 tsp pepper

Scramble fry meat, drain. Add oil, onion, garlic to meat, continue browning until onions are soft.

Add remaining ingrediants. Simmer slowly uncovered for 20 minutes. *If using fresh oregano, add towards the end of simmer, like with 5 minutes left.

Sometimes I will use the Marinara I posted either veg or with meat.

If ya have time, make it yourself Cappy ... it will be so much better than store bought.

I also make my own..always make a big kettle of it, then freeze the leftover...I don't know measurments, but here's how I make mine....

Put 1 or 2 large onions and a bunch of garlic in a kettle and cook on med. till they start to get clear. I then take a chuck roast that I cut into roughly 3x3 inch squares and brown all sides. Then I add enough water to cover the meat and bring to boil. Once it boils cover and lower heat and let it simmer for twenty min. I then add 3 or 4 cans of Hunts tomato sauce and bring it to a boil. That also goes to simmer uncovered. Then I add my meatballs and let it cook for about an hour. Then I add about three of the small cans of paste and cook for about three or four hours. ...Ad basil and/or oregano, salt and pepper throughout to taste.

This is how my Dad makes sauce and what Ive grown up on. My kids like mine but love his. I do everything exactly like him, but his always comes out so much better..lol. The kids call it "Papa sauce" and always ask him to make it when we go there for dinner.

Captain.

Just wondering if your famous lasagna is made with ricotta or the version made with sauces bolognese and bechemel ?

Al

If you can find the Bertolli brand, I read somewhere that it was rated the best commercial sauce, I think in cook's Illustrated.

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:12 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please note: If you are drinking and tend to get angry while doing so then stay off my site until you sober up!

This behavior will not be tolerated and drinking is NO excuse for that type of behavior. Proper apologizes aside, it is a direct violation of the rules to personally attack somone like that...I will not tolerate it at all!! Those posts will be deleted and if it warrants, further action will be taken!

Please post responsibly!

:pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop:

Pigs,

I have sent the Captain a PM and advised him to read the rules of this forum as they pertain to swearing and attacking persons.

Hopefully, this will satisfy you and the problem will be resolved.

After reviewing the people who have posted on this thread, however, I'm not to awful sure that he isn't correct.

:bar: Anybody seen my beer??????

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom