WSM`S IN DENMARK SC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WalterSC

Head Chef
Ok I am one happy camper got both of the WSM`S assembled for the weekend cook , should I fire once it before I start using it for BBQ ?? Remember I am used to my 55 gallon drum offset that I had to do that with.

Ya might want to fire it up once and give it a "dry run" ..... just to see how it handles.

Get a feel for the temperatures and the speed at which you can adjust them...how much fuel to put in and how long it lasts etc...

Bryan S said:
No need to season it. Fire it up and cook on it right away. It's porcelain inside and out. ;) Good luck on the first cook and keep us posted, and take some pics. :D

Hey I even bought a extra memory chip for the event , will buy the butts tomorow morning so I can do the on Friday night . Will start at 5PM and go all night long. Dinner will be around 4Pm so I will take em off at 3PM then pull and sauce em.

Finney said:
JUst wipe the manufacturing "gunk" (that's a technical term) off all the insides and the racks... and cook away. ;)

Thanks fellas I can hardly wait just found out a friend of mine is brining me some green hickory chuncks for extra smoke !!!

Cliff H. said:
Is it nessesary to soak the chunks ?

Is that the best way on a WSM ?

Good luck Walter and take lots of pics. :D

Actually there will be green chucks no need for soaking needed. I use the dry oak for heat and smoke when I am using the offset , I figure hickory will make a nice change in taste , i think I amy alos have a few oak chunks somewere around here might add a fe was well to see what happens.

Walter, maybe I'm confused, you're not planning on using just wood for your cook are you? Or are you just going to put some wood chunks on some lump charcoal or briquettes.

Be careful with the amount of wood you use, it doesn't take as much as you might think to get a good smoke flavor on your meat.

Bruce B said:
Walter, maybe I'm confused, you're not planning on using just wood for your cook are you? Or are you just going to put some wood chunks on some lump charcoal or briquettes.

Be careful with the amount of wood you use, it doesn't take as much as you might think to get a good smoke flavor on your meat.

Kingsford Charcoal briquettes and a few chucks of wood , sorry for the confusion.

Bryan S said:
Heads up for you Bud. Unless you are quite familar with using green wood i would say not to use it, unless you know what your doing. I have used green wood (apple) many times over the years. A little bit goes a very long way. If you go overboard with it, it'll be so bitter and........................ lets not go there. Just be VERY, VERY carefull if you go that route. If you've never used green wood i would suggest that you use seasoned wood. ;)

Good advice thats why I am only gonna use 2 to 3 chucks at best , I learned that lesson long ago . My father said the same thing to me just today , heck I may not use it at all just a thought cause I got plenty of dryed oak chuncks and limbs I got 2 HUGE oak trees in my back yard.

Just watch your temp on the first cook..until the inside gets a bit sooty and not as shiney or reflective, your temps may get a little high...

I'd skip the green wood also. Use whatever you have that is well seasoned.

Soaking wood chucks doesn't really work. Even if you have them soaking for hours, the water only penetrates a fraction of an inch. Wood chip can benefit from a good soaking though.
;)

Finney said:

Soaking wood chucks doesn't really work. Even if you have them soaking for hours, the water only penetrates a fraction of an inch. Wood chip can benefit from a good soaking though.
;)

Good advice Finney! Walter remember this isn't like cooking on an open fire pit. Using green wood in the WSM is gonna ruin your meat. If you need some good dry hickory chunks, swing by Walmart, they have 10lb bags for under $5. Good uniform pieces and nice and dry.

Larry Wolfe said:
Finney said:

;)

Good advice Finney! Walter remember this isn't like cooking on an open fire pit. Using green wood in the WSM is gonna ruin your meat. If you need some good dry hickory chunks, swing by Walmart, they have 10lb bags for under $5. Good uniform pieces and nice and dry.

Done got me 4 bags of hickory wood chuncks this morning , had to take the wife to IHOP for breakfast anyway so I made a pit stop. But I am gonna keep that free Hickory wood I am getting and let it dry and season on the rack I have built!!!

Walter another heads up. For a butt cook use about 4 fist sized chunks, unless you want less smoke, then use two or three.

Back
Top Bottom