Writers Wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DJ

Sous Chef
Myself and a friend from the TBBQF have been tossing around the idea of putting a book together for fun and hopefully profit for anyone who chooses to participate and submit various pieces/articles to a work in progress "Pits/cook/recipes/how to/why" book. Submittal does not guarantee a piece will be accepted, but it will put you in the mix. Minimally, it will probably take most of the winter to put the book together, then there's the task of getting it published, a tough row to hoe, but ya never know until you try.
If you'r interested, click on the link below for more details.
The working outline can be found at the bottom of this post and please take a look at all the links on link page (below), as each one offers more information.

http://www.ncre.biz/DATsBBQ/BookProject/BPhome.html

Feel free to contact myself at djsbbq@roadrunner.com
and/or DATsBBQ@ncre.biz

As a sidenote, we are not interested in hearing all the pitfalls associated with this venture as we are well aware. We are however interested in putting a book together and sharing any and all profits with anyone who chooses to participate and their submittal is accepted.. Suggestions/Enhancements will always be welcomed.
Thanks,
dj

At present, we are seeking "articles" or "write ups" on Cookers. More to the point we are looking for submissions of 300 to 600 words about the characteristics, likes/dislikes, cooking capacity, type of fuel'(s) and if you've made any modifications. Name and Town for the by-line along with your "home" BBQ Forum please.

Bullet (Vertical) water pan smokers like the ECB, WSM etc
Cabinet Smokers
Ceramics
Ugly Drum Smokers
Back yard offsets
Pellet Smokers
Trailer mounted offsets
Gas fired Smokers
Electric Smokers
Any other kind of Smoker

Black & white sketches of one or all of the above type smokers.

Submit your piece to either or both Don or Dave in email or msWord form at:

Don at djsbbq@roadrunner.com

Dave at DATsBBQ@ncre.biz

In Process Outline:

Favorites from the BBQ Forum’s

Outline

A. Working title: Favorite Recipes from the BBQ Forum’s
B. Working subtitle: A BBQ Primer???
C. Contents page
D. Acknowledgements. Contributors to the book, BBQ Central, TBBQF, etc

E.Introduction. Explain what the book is about and how it is configured

F. Part One
a. Cookers (Pits?) – types of cookers. Bullets, Cabinets, Ceramics, Kettles, Offsets, Pellets, UDS???
b. Fuels – charcoal, lump, wood, gas, electric, pellets, chips, chunks
c. Thermometers – Analog, Calibrating, Digital, Placement
d. Accessories – Rib Racks, Injectors, Knives, Chimneys, Tongs, Ash Buckets, Drip Pans, ???

G. Part Two – Meats that are meant to be smoked.
a. Food Safety and prep
b. Beef – Include brisket (packer, point, flat), chuck roasts, ribs, rib roasts and how they are graded (Prime, Choice, Select).
c. Pork – Shoulders, butts, picnics, spare ribs and cuts from them, loin back ribs and the difference between fresh pork and enhanced pork, roasts, hams.
d. Chicken (whole, quarters, spatchcock, beer can, pieces), Turkey, Goose
e. Free Range Vs Organic Vs ???
f. Other meats like sausage, wild game, fish, Bison
g. Meats not meant to cook Low & Slow (???)

H. Part Three – Seasonings
a. Dry rubs
b. Wet rubs
c. Marinades
d. Brines
e. Cures
f. Sauces

I. Part Four – Putting it all together
a. Texas Style Brisket
b. Reebs
c. Yardbirds done Texas Style
d. Pulled Pork

J. Side dishes
a. Beans (Busted pintos, Boston baked, ???)
b. Salads (potato, pasta, bean, ???)
c. Appetizers (ABTs, Amarillo eggs, fatties, ???)
d. Desserts

K. Charts & Graphs
a. How much meat to smoke
b. Conversions
c. Temp (low & slow – Hot & Fast (roasting) – Grilling), Is it done?
d. Woods suitable for smoking and their characteristics
L. Resources – addresses and/or websites of interest
M. Index

Sounds like a decent idea .. like putting all the questions one might ask in every site out there with an answer .....

Just a thought, did you think about adding a reference section at the end of the book so someone that bought the book that had a specific question could go right to that page there or abouts ...not sure youd be delving that far into it but just a thought

Thanks, that's the intent. Last part will be links/web addresses to sites such as BBQ Central
dj

Div said:
Sounds like a decent idea .. like putting all the questions one might ask in every site out there with an answer .....

Just a thought, did you think about adding a reference section at the end of the book so someone that bought the book that had a specific question could go right to that page there or abouts ...not sure youd be delving that far into it but just a thought

DJ said:
We are however interested in putting a book together and sharing any and all profits with anyone who chooses to participate and their submittal is accepted.

How's that going to work exactly? How are the profits going to be distributed? Equally amongst all? Is a recipe weighted more than an article? You know what I mean...

Will you be offering a free package of rub with the book and could there possibly be a scratch n sniff page like the perfume in magazines ? :shock:

Helen_Paradise said:
DJ said:
We are however interested in putting a book together and sharing any and all profits with anyone who chooses to participate and their submittal is accepted.

How's that going to work exactly? How are the profits going to be distributed? Equally amongst all? Is a recipe weighted more than an article? You know what I mean...

Usally shared profits are in royalties done in percentages... I cant speak for him but I would guess that the creators and publishers would get the biggest portion and whatever was lefter over would be divided between the rest...royalty checks are forever !

Please review information on the link page.
dj

Helen_Paradise said:
DJ said:

Nothing can be ruled out at this time ;)
dj

Div said:
Will you be offering a free package of rub with the book and could there possibly be a scratch n sniff page like the perfume in magazines ? :shock:

DJ said:
dj

Div said:

hahah...

Listen I just sent you an email after reading the info there with a nice idea ... hush hush tho keep it under wraps it could be highly volitile if its released to the public before the book comes out :shock: :shock:

Thanks Div, we'll keep this idea between us for now!
dj

Div said:
DJ said:
dj

Div said:

hahah...

Listen I just sent you an email after reading the info there with a nice idea ... hush hush tho keep it under wraps it could be highly volitile if its released to the public before the book comes out :shock: :shock:

On profits,
Some of the stuff that won't be known until near the end are:
If we get a publisher to take this on, the "normal" royalites are 12 to 18% of sales or so the author types I know tell me.
Or we get a sponsor to buy the book to give away with a purchase of BBQ equipment made by them, who knows what the pay out will/could be.
If we go the Vanity Publishing route, more risk for Don and me and who ever else might want to throw in.

I do know this, any and all who contribute will get an offer and that offer (maybe drawn up by a well known Alaskan Law firm) will be public amongst all those who are in on it. If you don't like the offer and want to pull out, good enough and your stuff will be stricken from the book and we'll sub or delete that article/recipe. In short, we won't and can't use your material unless it is agreed upon to do so. Think of this as a "try out" for a play or submitting a free-lance article to a magazine. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

That said, here's to a profitable venture!

sounds all good ....ill get my idea typed up and sent in, I dont think its going to be as big of an output as ya think it will ...

all around it seems like a sound idea along with including the bbq community in the creation of the book ....im for ya either way

Sounds good. Let me know when Dats. Sorry for the late reply -- I spent last week out in the sticks hunting ducks/geese.

Griff said:
Sounds good. Let me know when Dats. Sorry for the late reply -- I spent last week out in the sticks hunting ducks/geese.

We seem to be off to slow start, but will definately talk with you when we get a little further along in the process.

Still time for folks to get in on the action. Think we got backyard offsets covered -bunch of submissions for those kind of smokers but nary a word from the WSMers, Eggers, Trailer offsets and so on.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom