Wow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
I was reading through my BBQ USA book this morning and came across a competition crew that said they cooked their ribs for 24 hours and the butts for 36 hours. That's a long long cook!

24 hrs sounds like an incredibly long time for ribs. My last brisket took me
22.5 hours at an average temp of 210 and that was only because I foiled it. What temp were they doing the ribs at? Must have been cooking them at around 150-160 in the Vertical upright.

I'll bring the book to work tomorrow and scan the information. If anyone has the book, look in the part about Memphis in May.

TexLaw said:
Larry Wolfe said:
I was reading through my BBQ USA book this morning and came across a competition crew that said they cooked their ribs for 24 hours and the butts for 36 hours. That's a long long cook!

That's full of poopie. If you really cooked ribs for 24 hours, you'd have jerky. The only way you could get away with it is if you foiled them for the last 18 or so hours of the cook, and then you'd have mush and bones.

Now, you could just about get away with cooking the ribs for the normal time and then holding them at 145 or so until the Sun was in the same place when you started. I wouldn't call that "cooking," though.

On butts, you could just about get away with 36 hours, but I don't know what you'd really have on your hands.

Here's the real hole in the story, though: You don't usually get 36 hours between the time you fire up and turn in at a competition. The latest turn-in time usually is around 3pm. For some competitions, you might get to 5pm. KCBS rules have butt turn-in at 1pm (but allow coodinators to vary). Most competitions don't even allow you to come in and set up until around the crack of dawn on the day before judging. So, unless these folks are starting their butts between 2-6 hours or so before they even set up, they're full of it.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with competitions, so I'd like to see what Jim Minion has to say about all that. Jim, am I full of it, or are they? (damn, now I've stuck my neck out :eek: )
TL
Say what you want and I'll quote from the book about Memphis in May! "By Friday night, all the booths are set up and the smokers are stoked and loaded". "The Good, the Bad, and the Swine team from Memphis cooks its ribs for 24hours, its pork shoulders for 36. "If we ever entered a whole hog contest, we'd have to start cooking the week before," quips team captain, Ken Johnson. " I am quoting directly from the book, for those of you who have the book it's on pages 230-231.

These are statements made from folks that have made it to the biggest BBQ event in the world, I am sure their ribs weren't jerky and I'm sure they know a little about what they are talking about. Or Steven Raichlen made it up. I dunno, take your pick.

I dunno how they make their times work for the contest, but that is what the book says.

There is no reason to cook ribs or butts that long, but a big part of competition cooking is Bull Shit, MIM it has become part of the judging process. I believe that is what you may have here.
Jim

jminion said:
There is no reason to cook ribs or butts that long, but a big part of competition cooking is Bull Shit, MIM it has become part of the judging process. I believe that is what you may have here.
Jim

Jim I agree and that's why my original post said "Wow" cause I couldn't believe someone cooked them that long. I'd love just to go as a spectator to MIM.

Larry Wolfe said:
jminion said:
Jim

Jim I agree and that's why my original post said "Wow" cause I couldn't believe someone cooked them that long. I'd love just to go as a spectator to MIM.
Well, since you're no longer invited to SmokeStock, here's your chance! :grin: :grin:

:!:

Niagara River Smoker said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":trumw499]
jminion said:
Jim

Well, since you're no longer invited to SmokeStock, here's your chance! :grin: :grin:

:!:[/quote:trumw499] :lmao:

He will probably just say he went to MIM and claim to have seen some guys cooking ribs with a magnifying glass or something!

We forgot we had some ribs on the pit at Q-fest last year and took em off after about 10 hours (pretty drunk, we were). Talk about fallin off the bone! (fallin off the porch too!)

Woodman said:
Talk about fallin off the bone! (fallin off the porch too!)
And there's never a camera around when you need one! :grin: :grin:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom