Wood from Orchards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
There is a nice pecan orchard near by where the owner locates trees and limbs that have fallen or been cut into one area. Anyone can come and cut out of this pile what they want. He burns the rest.

I am concerned about the chemical used to spray for worms and such. I am sure he sprays every year or so. I am not so much worried about the heart wood as I am the big limbs that have been sprayed over and over for several years.

Any Agricultural Extension Agents out there who can offer some advice?

If not then just anyone with advice will do. :D

If you go up to Romeo, some of the orchards along Van Dyke have it sitting out for sale. Last time I was up there I got 20lbs for $5.

Bruce B said:
If you go up to Romeo, some of the orchards along Van Dyke have it sitting out for sale. Last time I was up there I got 20lbs for $5.
Usaually around trimming time?

I struck a deal with an apple orchard here...I bring 2 butts cooked and I take as much wood as I can fit in my van! :D

Asked my neighbor with apple farm... (got me kinda thinking...I use his wood a lot) Most insecticides are short lasting, especially those used on apple and pecan trees. What gets sprayed on is mostly to deter a fungus that grows on trees which attracts certain species of insects (basically a flu shot for the tree). The other whatever percent is directly an insecticide.

It's all not much different from what the lawn companies put on your lawn... and you let your kids play there right?.... just not within a day or two after they apply.

I think you'll be safe with the sprayed pecan wood.

Up here where I am in New England, we tend to get plauged with Gypsy Moth caterpillars... but this year we had such a rainy wet spring and early summer..... the fungus that usually grows on trees around here, especially the Black Cherry trees... it never had a chance to grow. No fungus= nothing for the Gypsy Moths to eat or be attracted to. Maybe old wives tale, but I heard from a local farmer that if we get three (3) wet seasons in a row like that, it will rid us of the Gypsy Moths for the next 7 years! One could only wish.

Back
Top Bottom