Wood fence. - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > General (Non-BBQ) Discussion
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Should a privacy fence be squirted down with transmission fluid
yes 4 16.67%
no 13 54.17%
maybe 0 0%
I aint got a clue 7 29.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2008, 02:29 PM   #1
Official BBQ Central Mark

Wood fence.

Okay since getting nagged at for few years I decided to let this excellent handy man pal o mine to build me a wood privacy fence to stretch along the street side of the house. Got most of it built as we speak. He built the fence panels from scratch using treated slats and posts but untreated runners. I guess he caught the untreated version on sale or something. Anyway I used to have a pal who while living at Jouston claimed to have made some good side money by squirting wood privacy fences down with used Automatic Transmission fluid. He claim it preserve it forever..make it look like Redwood..kill the grass underneath you dont have to weed eat..blah blah blah. Everybody I have talked to has said dont do it..use Thompsons Water seal etc? Anybody got contrary opinyawns pro or con on this deal? Now just as an aside we had a group of Gypsies working this area a few years back who talked a bunch of yups into letting them squirt down their wood roofs with a magic elixir to preserve it forever. Turned out to be used motor oil and the Insurance Agents all went nuts said it was a fire hazard..made the folks re roof the house and such things. The Gypsies finally got caught and sent off to learn how make license plates.
Let me know. Thanks.

bigwheel

bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
Rag
BBQ Centralite

Great story. Gyps are pissers. It's fine to cover your house with dry wood, but not oil. Guess I missed the fine line.
I don't have experience with tranny fluid on wood. It should work and you have first person experience with your buddy. I only used used motor oil on gravel drives to hold down dust. Stinky crap.

WSM 22.5
Meadow Creek TS250 (sold)
Meadow Creek chicken cooker
Rag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:29 PM   #3

Thanks Rag. That old boy who told me to do it was real smart. He knew everything there was which was worth knowing. He could work on your car..build you a compooter..and sew you up a suit of new clothes. Just to touch the tip of the ice burg. He was not good at cleaning house. When his wife run off it broke his heart. She was apparently a good looking blonde. I seen partial eaten baloney sandwiches laying around his house which was at least 6 years old...which coincided eggxactly with when his wife run off. Did you ever read the story of Mrs. Haversham who got stood up on her wedding day? Same kinda deal I think.

bigwheel
Old 07-17-2008, 08:35 PM   #4
Wizard of Que

I live in the heart of the wood industry and these guys say dont't use Thompson's. Waste of money they say. Most of them recomend TWP. I've used it for several years with good results. It is expensive in my book. Here is a link to it. twp500.com
Old 07-17-2008, 09:23 PM   #5

My guess would be that any oil based product is going to soak into the dry wood and make it look " wet " for some time.

I don't think TF is going to preserve your fence any longer than any other product.

They all need to be re-applied after a few years IMO.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:07 AM   #6
Graduate of BBQ Central

'round here people used diesel fuel on their fences and houses. Looks really good. Now that was when diesel was 2 bucks a gallon also. The oil in the fuel makes it purdy.
http://www.bbq-4-u.com/images/facebook.png
swampsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:44 AM   #7

We gots Hurricane fences here, (chain link) So Iduno
Yes beer qualifies as an appetizer

BOY!

http://www.youtube.com/user/007bondjb
007bond-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:50 AM   #8

Thanks folks going to Goggle up TWP500 as we speak. Hey JB cant use them hurricane fences around the cement pond in case some nekked ladies want to come over and swim. They like the non see through models.

bigwheel
Old 07-18-2008, 09:46 AM   #9

If your pal would have used treated runners you wouldn't have the need to squirt your fence. Treated wood will out live most folks I know.
I put up a fence 5 yrs. ago with all treated lumber. Never put a drop of anything on it.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:50 PM   #10
Baby Back

been using thompsons for years, 15 year old deck still looks brand new. Personally, I wouldn't use ATF. What if you lean on it?

Molson is offline   Reply With Quote