Woke up to this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thats suxs . hope nothing got broke up .

i am kinda lucky Katrina knocked most of my trees down . so when a storm comes like that i have no worries bout trees falling anymore .

Most all Maple is fine for smoking. It's a Hardwood. I took down a Silver Maple which grows fast and straight up and the wood has been fine for tossing in the smoker and also that Open Pit Grill.

Bill,

At least it didn't go through your roof! :shock:
Maple is good for smoking on your pit, let it dry for a year and take off the bark.

Cheers

Steve McMurtry said:
Bill,

At least it didn't go through your roof! :shock:
Maple is good for smoking on your pit, let it dry for a year and take off the bark.

Cheers

Why? I never take the bark off unless there's evidence of bug or tons of lichens or other fungi...which the upper limbs of maple hardly ever get (at least here).

I have a WSM, so I like to use limbs that are 2-6 inches in diameter. The smaller ones I'll cut up into 2x4" sections, the bigger one I'll cut those into 3-4" sections and split them in half, or quarters if they're big.

Once they are in chunks, I put them in a milk crate and stick them in the attic and they are totally dry are ready to use in a month or two.

Just my .02

Well, I got it all cut up. Broke the top rail on the deck :shock: and yes I was lucky it missed the WSM's. I did haul most of it off to the dump. It was an old fence line and we ruined 2 chain saw chains. I have more to cut down at a later date but at least the stuff is up for now.

Back
Top Bottom