Who remembers this day?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surfinsapo

Master Chef
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iquCHSkmUek&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iquCHSkmUek&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

SS,

I remember it well.

Back when I use to go camping, we camped at Copper Harbor which is at the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, on the shores of Lake Superior. On this particular trip in October, I woke in the morning at about 6:45am to partly cloudy skies and temps of 64 degrees. Throughout the day the weather worsened and the winds shifted coming out of the northwest...by 3:30pm the temps had dropped to the upper 30's and we were getting a mix of sleet/ice and snow with winds in the 40 mph range.

I had never witnessed a storm blow in over Lake Superior before and I have to tell you the last place I would ever want to be when that occurs is on any type of boat/ship in the middle of that huge lake.

There is still a memorial mass at the Old Mariner's Church in Detroit every year on the anniversary of the sinking of the ship and they ring the bell 29 times for each crew member lost..you can hear a pin drop when they do that.

Thanks for posting that SS!!

SS

I too remember this well. I had spent some time commercial fishing in the North Pacific and the Bering Sea by the time that occurred. In the late 70's I was caught in a storm about 100 miles offshore in a small sailboat, again the North Pacific, and well remember recalling Lightfoot's lyric "Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Thanks for posting that.

They say that further below Lake Ontario, takes in what Lake Erie can send her.............

I never could figure out why they load ships with ore and ride around lakes. Where the hell are they going.....they are on a lake!! :roll:

Griff said:
SS

I too remember this well. I had spent some time commercial fishing in the North Pacific and the Bering Sea by the time that occurred. In the late 70's I was caught in a storm about 100 miles offshore in a small sailboat, again the North Pacific, and well remember recalling Lightfoot's lyric "Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Thanks for posting that.

Having been caught in some rough waters on Lake Erie and also Lake of the Woods in Minnesota...man, is this ever true.

I don't remember when it happened........I was only about 2 years old. My dad introduced me to "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" as a young child. It has always been one of my absolute favorite songs. I've read about this storm and wreck as well as watched a documentary. One day, I really hope to visit Whitefish bay lighthouse and the museum.

BTW, what a coincidence that my newsletter from Todd and Brad Reed photography was waiting in my email this morning and featured pictures from the family's trip to Tahquamenon Falls and Whitefish Bay.

Back
Top Bottom