White Sea Bass Fishing- Santa Catalina Island

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TimBear

Sous Chef
Sunday I took two of my boys fishing with my dad (My oldest had to work) and a couple other buddies on a 6-pack charter out of Huntingtun Beach Harbor for an overnight fishing trip to Santa Catalina Island. We were looking to catch some "Local" White Sea Bass on this trip. The moon was full the past couple of nights so the bite had dropped off some during the day. We got out to the island about 6:30pm and fished for a few hours but we only caught a few calico bass and some blue perch; we tossed them back so we could catch them again next year. My son Hayden caught a nice "Local" California Halibut about 15 lbs.

We stopped fishing around 9:30pm so we could make catch some live squid for bait; we floated up about 100,000 squid and took what we needed (about 15 scoops) and went to bed.

We woke up Monday morning to beautiful calm seas, light wind and perfect currents. We fished for about 3 hours and caught some barracuda (threw them back), a small white sea bass (threw it back), calicos, I caught a huge bat ray (I thought it was a giant black sea bass the way it took me around the boat a few times) and a lot of little blue perch. So we moved to another spot.

I cast out with a beautiful pissed off squid (the inked me pretty good; you'll see my shirt :LOL: ), I let the current take it out about 40 yards and "Wham" fish on!!! :D :D

We slayed-um!!! I will be posting cooked pics later on other posts; but here are the first pics on the boat. Oh if we would have had a jackpot going, I would have won; I landed 3 fish 40 lb+.

It was a great time!!!

bbquzz said:
Holly Cow ... I too would like to see some smoker / grill pictures, it's going to take some time to clean all of those :LOL:
All cleaned and cut into portins, vacuum packed and into the freezer (for most of them).

Awesome. That's a good time. Brings back memories of when my dad would take me out on the chartered boats in San Diego and half day boats outta Long Beach. That's the one thing I miss about CA. ....the ocean.

Hey Tim, you ever hear of "Yo's Custom rods" in Gardena?

Back
Top Bottom