which one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I prefer Avast. I've been using it for about 3 years now with no problems. The occasional virus will slip by but it's always the ones that have to have a specific removal tool and no other anti-virus will work. We've only had the problem 2 times in 10 years so not a big concern. Just last week, I clicked a link from a friend and before it opened, my Avast siren went off because of a virus detection. I was able to abort the virus attempt at getting into my system and close the link immediately.

AVG has slipped in the ratings. A lot. I used it for several years and have recently switched to ESET NOD32. After getting infected. Google 'antivirus review' and check out some of the independent evaluation sites. NOD32 and Kaspersky pretty generally beat everybody else.

You can get Spyware Doctor for free by going to the Google site, clicking on 'more' and 'even more' until you get to the end, and then click on 'Pack.' Select Spyware Doctor (or deselect everything else you don't want, I don't remember which).

Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D are both good (different ways of looking for malware produces different results) and both have free versions. Only catch is you have to remember to run them from time to time. Weekly is okay.

--John
(Oh, and I advise that you stay away from suites like McAfee and Norton. They're resource hogs -- that is, they'll bog down your computer speed bad -- and while they may be okay for one security task, they don't do everything well. Besides, their pricing is not user-friendly.)

Back
Top Bottom