Where to eat/What to do while in New Orleans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shores

Sous Chef
Hi All! The wife and I flew to the big easy this morning and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on places we should eat at or go see. We'll be here through Sunday mid day.

Went to Acme Oyster House for lunch. Hoping to head to Oceana for dinner.

Thanks in advance.

I ate everywhere. Be careful with them Oysters. My buddy and his wife got severe food poisoning. My wife just wanted to party. I just wanted to eat. I age 5 times a day and ate every weird thing I could. Alligator gumbo, Crawdad jambalaya you name it. Have fun!!!
P.S. If you accidently wind up down at the South end of Bourbon St. Don’t bend over! :LOL:

Be careful. Crime is rampant in that place. Little school marm friend and her hubby came back from there with broke bones when some members of the minority co-moonity decided they needed his wallet worse than he did. He is a little tight wound karate chopping dude. Think he left them nursing..cursing several broken bones too. Know they broke her collar bone so she musta been trying to help. Dont try to touch the po po's hosses. They will break your arm with a billy club.

bigwheel

Thanks Bigwheel for the warnings. Will try to be careful. If momma got a broken bone from some thug, they wouldn't be around to tell the story.

We went to Star Steak House last night. The food was okay. Service was terrible. Looking forward to trying a few other locations today. I have a BBQ place called The Joint on my list to hit before we leave. I'm hoping some of the LA folks will chime in to give some of there recommendations.

I made it a point to eat Gumbo every day I was in New Orleans....

If you get the chance, and it is still there, take the ferry across the Mississippi to Algers and go to Algers Landing. It is a rough looking place from the outside but nice on the inside, you can see it from across the river, it is right on the bend of the river. Of course, it has been like 15 years ago since I been there.

Thanks JB! Just got back from going to Mother's for a Mae Special (ham omlete, grits, biscuit), smoked sausage and a beer. Then went to Harrah's for a hint of gambling and a couple more beers then hit Dazy Dukes for a couple more beers. I had searched on here and saw a post from 2005 that talked about the muffaleta from Central Grocery, so I'll definitely go there. Probably go back to Mother's as well. Cool place. Did I mention all the beer! Love this place.

Where we going to meet up JB?

Took JB's suggestion and went to Central Grocery for a muffuletta for lunch. The wife wasn't quite sure about the place when we walked in (it had a weired smell), but we enjoyed the sandwhich and a beer.

For dinner we went to Ember's Steakhouse on Bourbon Street. I had a frenched cut ribeye. It was probably one of the best steaks I've ever had. The service was great and they had a great atmosphere as well. After that we meandered around Bourbon Street and drank a bunch more beer. I think my liver is going to need a break after this trip, but it's going to have to wait until tomorrow!

Today we're off to a plantation tour and more eating and drinking!

Yesterday was our last full day here. The big plan for the day was to go tour a plantation. On the way to meet the bus for the tour we stopped by a cajun restuarant called The Alpine. I had the Taste of New Orleans (Jambalya, Red Beans and Rice and Shrimp Gumbo), the wife had a burger :roll: .

The tour was fun and it was nice to get out of the French Quarter for a while.

When we got back we went to a sports bar (Huck Finn) to watch my Alma Mater - Northwest Missouri State University play in the Division II football semi-finals against Minn-Duluth. I made my meal out of all appetizers (Gator Bites, Boudin Balls, Wings and Cheese Fries) and beer! I'm sad to say that my Northwest Bearcats lost 17-13.

We're headed home today, but truly had an enjoyable time expereincing this great city with all its history, bars and restuarants.

Thanks to all of you who gave suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom