Where Do You Buy Uncommon Smoking Woods?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

3 Olives

Senior Cook
Where do you buy uncommon smoking wood? I've read two recipes for a wood that starts with K and is used for chicken in the last few weeks but I can't remember the whole name. It's part age but mostly that I am a Foodie and read lots of recipes.

Figgered out is was most likely Hiwayawn just by the sound of it. They also have some kinda version of Mesquite over there. I forget the name right now but it is speeled funny too.

bigwheel

Well if I was wanting some good mesquite I just have somebody send me some from Corpus. They got the best.

bigwheel

My favorite uncommon wood to use is coffee wood. I like mixing it in with hickory or apple wood during a smoking session.

There is an outdoor/BBQ store right outside of Charlotte that carries a good selection of woods (albeit pricey since they're the only ones around with any sort of selection outside the normal hickory/mesquite).

Somebody sent me some free coffee wood one time. Did not smell bad at all. Also got some januine Irish dried peat. That aint an unpleasant flavor when burnt item either. Cant recall that is was overwhelming wonderful by any means.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Figgered out is was most likely Hiwayawn just by the sound of it. They also have some kinda version of Mesquite over there. I forget the name right now but it is speeled funny too.

bigwheel

I ordered 80# of Ono Lump, should be on the porch tomorrow. We'll see about that.[attachment=0:2phnxeds]ONO.jpg[/attachment:2phnxeds]
$107.30 shipping included. U.S. Wellnes Meats.

Well if it like any other lump charcoal in the world will predict it not going to impart much if any flavor to the meat. Its simply a heat source and the goal is to find the least unpleasant. Thats why I use electricity. Got some on my doorstep as we speak. Quite a bit cheaper than the lackonookie stuff from Hiwaya.

bigwheel

Griff said:
Dats, good to hear from you. I'm interested in you opinion of the Ono lump.

The only reason I order it is because I'm cooking for a Hawaiian themed get together. I was asked to try an be as authentic as possible. Thats what they wanted and I aim to please. The event isn't for another month. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Gotcha Dat's. Best of good fortunes on the upcoming gringo lewoww. Now you see any grass skirts which has been decently mowed kindly post some pics. Thanks. Uh rah.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom