Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2005, 07:49 PM   #21
Official BBQ Central Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Finney
Wood,
I don't think you ever told me if it was a smooth, wire, or long haired.
Chris, it's a longhair. I'll e-mail you some photo's when I have some. He's a sable color.WM
WoodyDogLover, send me a few pic's too! It'll be like looking at a chinese menu and I love chinese food! :biggrin:

Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 10:45 PM   #22
BBQ Central Pro

Re: Whats happened to this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Prochilo
Man, used to be lots of conversing going on here. Not lately. Whtas happening.
Well, here is my 2 cents ....

Not enough real Q talk here. Too much Tom Foolery and interpersonal stuff. I don't think that has to be a bad thing, but if you're not in the click or up to date you are out of it. It can be there for the die hards as long as the other stuff keeps coming.

The two key forums on TVWB are in my opinion, Barbeque and the New Members site .... talking about Q on WSM and learning WSM Qing.

Many of the members here don't share their Q adventures AND post pics and questions cuz I guess we all seem to know how to please ourselves with our cookers or just know what we want to do next time to try and improve.

To illustrate my point, compare even the first page of update history in General Discussion and General BBQ forums. There are daily updates to General Discussion, but there are muti-day gaps between updates to General BBQ forum.

I also think attracting newbs is crucial. The problem I forsee with an elite /competitor site (though I'm uncertain that's the case here) is just that .... too many swollen heads or competitive/non-sharing members.

I have not been contributing much lately because I am away from home without my beloved WSM.

Anyway, after all that, I want to say I think there is a great bunch of guys here and the site has a lot of potential. I still plan to visit regularly.

Shawn

Shawn White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 10:48 PM   #23

Shawn you're right. I need to do a better job of talking q. I'm looking for a cheap digital camera right now to document my many failures! That alone could make this board work!
Old 04-05-2005, 10:59 PM   #24
BBQ Central Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
Shawn you're right. I need to do a better job of talking q. I'm looking for a cheap digital camera right now to document my many failures! That alone could make this board work!
CM, if I lived in range I would eagerly accept any invitation to help you consume YOUR 'failures'.

I also think even 'vanity' posts would be good, 'I did <this thing> and it turned out GREAT!!, here are the pics ....' for inspiring others or at least sparking conversation.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:02 PM   #25

welcome Big Time.....Houston is now represented...what do you cook, and what do you cook on?
Old 04-05-2005, 11:03 PM   #26

I been checking the new posts almost daily for 3 weeks since I joined and Shawn's points are pretty valid. I also noticed a lot of posts are just emoticons, which is OK in some instances.

Griff

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm."
George Orwell
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 11:12 PM   #27
BBQ Central Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
welcome Big Time.....Houston is now represented...what do you cook, and what do you cook on?
I thinks this is also great CM, taking interest in others .... something I haven't been good at personally.

I think for me it's a US/Canada thing. On TVWB I greet every Canadian who signs the Guestbook and try to start a dialogue, but not so with members of other nationalities. Personal improvement area identified.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:31 AM   #28
BBQ Centralite

Uh, Cap'n? Tex Law is in Houston?

Shawn, I will be posting alot more on BBQ as soon as I take delivery of my new pit in two weeks! Then, I can actually start cooking again!!!!!!! Not having Susan certainly hurts us in this regard because she actually "cooked" on a regular basis! I will be doing alot of large group cooking in the coming months and will try to take photo's and regale you all with my adventures! Woodman
Old 04-06-2005, 08:35 AM   #29
Web Celeb

Re: Whats happened to this forum

[quote=Shawn White]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Nick Prochilo":2m8c2dji
Man, used to be lots of conversing going on here. Not lately. Whtas happening.
Well, here is my 2 cents ....

Not enough real Q talk here. Too much Tom Foolery and interpersonal stuff. I don't think that has to be a bad thing, but if you're not in the click or up to date you are out of it. It can be there for the die hards as long as the other stuff keeps coming.

The two key forums on TVWB are in my opinion, Barbeque and the New Members site .... talking about Q on WSM and learning WSM Qing.

Many of the members here don't share their Q adventures AND post pics and questions cuz I guess we all seem to know how to please ourselves with our cookers or just know what we want to do next time to try and improve.

To illustrate my point, compare even the first page of update history in General Discussion and General BBQ forums. There are daily updates to General Discussion, but there are muti-day gaps between updates to General BBQ forum.

I also think attracting newbs is crucial. The problem I forsee with an elite /competitor site (though I'm uncertain that's the case here) is just that .... too many swollen heads or competitive/non-sharing members.

I have not been contributing much lately because I am away from home without my beloved WSM.

Anyway, after all that, I want to say I think there is a great bunch of guys here and the site has a lot of potential. I still plan to visit regularly.

Shawn[/quote:2m8c2dji]

First, thanks for the input Shawn. This was done in a very professional way and I apreciate that and since this is my site I would like to explain a few things regarding what you said:

1. I agree...at this point there is not enough real Q talk going on. I don't have a better excuse than that except as the weather warms it might increase...I HOPE IT DOES!!

2. I would also enjoy more sharing of Q or grilling adventures. It wouldn't have to be just with pics...I also enjoy reading text of someone's cook. I try to do this evertyime I make something and I encourage others to do this as well.

I think the layout right now is fine...I am not going to copy the TVWB format to the T and hope that the success translates here. I think there is a great knowledge base here and the members are willing to share any and all of the information to anyone who asks...it's not a clicque or group thing IMHO!

3. Please keep this point in mind...this site has been up for almost 3 months...that's it! The other big 3 boards have been up for years. It's hard to compare this site with the others because the water hasn't been tested as long here.

Also, I agree that gaining new members is crucial to growth...and while I can't say that the members here are all newbs, I can say we get new members on a regular basis...yes, there are more dominant personalities here than others, but it is like that on the other boards as well.

4. I am testing different things here so I am not lumped in with the rest of the boards. If things get a little heated in here sometimes please know it is not my intention to have anyone get offended. I will make sure what is to be shared is done so in the correct way so as not to offend anyone. There are other rooms for that kind of stuff...

I am in this for the long haul...I love to smoke and grill and provide a place for all those who like it a long with me to have a place to share. If anyone else has something they would like to share with me, please do so...I prefer it via email or PM but this was was fine too!!

Thanks,

Greg
Old 04-06-2005, 08:39 AM   #30
BBQ Centralite

Greg, when do you want to meet me for lunch at Slymans? The best corned beef sandwhich you ever had! Call me! Woody