What's cooking this weekend?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Damn I had turbo butts last night. 8 lbs put on at 5:30PM expecting to be ready at 5:30 Am. 3:10 rolled around WAY too early after a night of drinking. Pulled and shrunk wrapped for the fair. 4 more and I'll have enough.

Sent using smoke signals because I'm a cheap bastard!

bbquzz said:
I really thought I was the only one who couldn't get butts done in 10-12 hours, seems mine always go 16-20 hours, if I don't wrap.

I don't think I have ever cooked a butt longer than 8 hours. I usually cook 120 lb pigs for 12 hours. Someone's thermo is wrong I'm guessing.

Tim, I'm using a Thermapen as well as well as my Guru and a Maverick from time to time. Run the WSM 225° - 240° and I smoke to 195°, usually do 2, 3 or 4 at a time and can't say I have ever finished in less than 12 hours. Not a long time cooker, but I'm guessing I've done 100 butts over my short career.

swampsauce said:
bbquzz said:
I really thought I was the only one who couldn't get butts done in 10-12 hours, seems mine always go 16-20 hours, if I don't wrap.

I don't think I have ever cooked a butt longer than 8 hours. I usually cook 120 lb pigs for 12 hours. Someone's thermo is wrong I'm guessing.

my butts go for 12 to 14 hours, but I don't try to get them done in less time.

Buzz mine use to take that long at that temp. Raise your temp to 265ish and they will cook about an hour per pound.

Sent using smoke signals because I'm a cheap bastard!

Could me my thermos. I try for 240-240. I wrap also. Could be the difference. And I really didn't mean to offend anyone or insult anyone. Cept maybe do cappy.

No offense taken, I just wonder how so many get them done in 8-10 hours. I'll have to try and crank up the Guru 30° or 40°. Seems someone here recently told me I was not allowed to admit here if I did wrap :LOL:

Managed to turn this out Sunday...

cUDb0.jpg

FNZyP.jpg

0sXmU.jpg

2zuB7h.jpg

Had Burger n Dogs, and leftovers on Memorial Day

MUShand said:
bbquzz said:
I have the same issue but I think it's because I overload my COS

I like to cook mine around 215....that way I get them on, finish the beer, sleep for around
12 hours without having to worry about it (thank you guru), get up, take the dog out,
then casually go to the wsm and see if they're done. I'd hate to think about just
8 hours of sleep. 8)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom