What should I do with this ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
I noticed this air tank at work today back in our receiving dept today. It usually has a compressor sitting on top of it. They were about to throw it in the dumpster to be smashed. So I say, how about sitting it outside and I will throw it away for you.

It will make one heck of a magnum.

I can't decide if I want to to make a vertical or horizontal smoker out of it.

The tank body is heavier than the wsm lid but it is still light compared to a propane tank.

Are there any thoughts on this before I start cutting? :D

That is my wsm on the right. :shock:

I would turn it horizontal and make a kinda 5 gal drum smoker out of it. Make a firebox and stand and you're all set 8)

SteerCrazy said:
I would turn it horizontal and make a kinda 5 gal drum smoker out of it. Make a firebox and stand and you're all set 8)

I think a horizontal smoker would be the easiest to do with no welding skills.

Vertical is the only way to fly. It obeys the laws of physics much mo betta. That old hot air rising thang etc.

bigwheel

Cliff send Bill The Gay Guy (I would know because I am gay too) a PM. He made a vertical one out of a propane tank and should be able to give you some good tips.

Cliff H. said:
Thanks for the info.

I also believe vertical would be the best but I don't want to spend a bunch of money on someone to weld.

Cliff I think you could do the whole thing "vertical" without welding anything. Make the cooking grates and charcoal basket out of expanded metal if you can't find existing grates already manufactured. You can drill holes through the sides and use long screws for your shelf supports. A couple Weber daisy wheel vents for the top and bottom and you should be just about ready to cook!

I am thinking of doing the inside like a BDS and either making two med size doors top and bottom or one full access door like a cookshack smoker.

Larry Wolfe said:
Cliff send Bill The Gay Guy (I would know because I am gay too) a PM. He made a vertical one out of a propane tank and should be able to give you some good tips.

<snorf>... coffee coming out of nose.........

That has quite the "ring" to it! ;) :LOL:

Nice Pick up and good luck...can't wait to see the resutls....might want to check around with some small metal fab places...might give you a deal for some Q....Just a thought..

I think you got to mean BWS as opposed to BDS perhaps? If so that would be a good plan I think. I would have two doors. One to get to the meat racks and one to tend the fire and optional water pan on the bottom. Believe I would leave the top on it. Should cook fairly similar to a big WSM.

bigwheel

Cliff H. said:
I am thinking of doing the inside like a BDS and either making two med size doors top and bottom or one full access door like a cookshack smoker.

Here is one pic of my vertical. I will post more when I get home.

00002016dh.jpg

Wow Bill that vertical is impressive. I can sorta envision how that rack arrangement be great for a vertical. You have obviously cooked vertical quite a bit. The spinning racks would clear up a bunch of shortcomings of the vert configuration I think..speaking of the lower meat blocking off the radiant heat to the higher etc. I think I would have me a knob located on the outside to give it an occasional spin without having to open the door. Like them one handed steering knobs on 57 chevys which also have a photo of a nekked lady on there if you might recall. Course them outward opening doors aint gonna lose much heat when you open them up to give it a spin. I keep trying to tell that to all the counter weight afficiandos..but do anybody ever listen to me? No.

bigwheel

Cliff H. said:
Nice spin rack Bill.

I like the door but I think two would be better on the thinner metal that this tank is made of.

Yep, if I had to do it over there would have been 2 doors.

May have a problem with this tank. I find out today that is a water tank and not an air tank. I called the company to see if is galvanized and they tell me that it has a pvc lining. ?????

Back
Top Bottom