What is that one thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dollarbill

Head Chef
What is that one meal that you or your wife / mom or dad cooks that just absolutly kicks ass with you and anyone else who eats it? :?:

Chipotle-Lime Chicken Tacos with Corn Salsa

Ingredients:
1 skin-on whole chicken
Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
1 lime, zested and juiced (lime halves reserved), plus
1 lime, zested
1/4 cup water
1 cup crema --- I just used whipping cream
2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, finely minced into a paste
8 (6-inch) corn tortillas, warmed
Almost-Famous Corn Salsa (see recipe below)

Directions:
1. Preheat the grill to 400 degrees F.
2. Generously season the chicken, on the outside and inside of the cavity, with salt and pepper, to taste. With your fingers, put some of the lime zest under the skin of the chicken. Sprinkle the lime juice over the chicken and put the halves into the cavity. Put the chicken in a roasting pan, breast side up, and add 1/4 cup of water to the bottom of the pan.
3. Roast the chicken until the internal temperature registers 165 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer, when inserted in the thickest part of the breast.
4. Remove the chicken from the grill to a carving board, let sit until cool enough to handle.
5. In a small bowl, combine the crema, minced chipotles, remaining lime zest, and salt and pepper, to taste.
6. Once the chicken has cooled, pull the meat from bones and shred.
7. Combine the shredded chicken with chipotle crema mixture.
8. Place some of the chicken mixture on a warm tortilla, spoon on some corn salsa and a little sour cream. Garnish with some zest from the remaining lime and serve with lime wedges.
Notes:
Can be served as a burrito using a larger tortilla and adding black beans, a Spanish rice and some chopped lettuce.

Almost-Famous Corn Salsa

Ingredients:
1/2 small poblano chile pepper, seeded
3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt
1 cup fresh corn kernels (from 2 ears), or 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons chopped red onion
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:
1. Preheat a grill to medium high.
2. Soak two ears of corn in cold water for a minimum of 30 minutes, and then grill in the husk medium for one hour. Strip corn from the cob when done.
3. Brush the poblano with 1 teaspoon olive oil and grill, skin-side down, until charred but still firm, about 5 minutes. Cool slightly; peel and finely chop.
4. Mix the corn, poblano, jalapeno, cilantro and red onion in a bowl. Stir in the remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil, the lime juice, sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt.

I am most noted for my world famous Carne Guisada. Now my Mama made the best cornbread, fried chicken, tates, Pet Milk Gravy and hotcakes which ever been invented. The Little Bride can come close to her on the chicken and gravy but cant touch the cornbread or hotcake standard. We eat the stuff out of the little packets most times. Now my MIL made the best pinto beans on the planet. She used water beans and salt.

Mom made the best fried liver and onions and my Dad made the best Gumbo and sous.

Mom's lemon meringue pie.
My wife's lasagna.
Gramma's white bread.
Me.......I can't cook :mrgreen:
What about you Dolla' Billy.

Puff said:
My wife's lasagna.
Gramma's white bread.

Wifes Zuchini Casserole
Wifes Lasagna
Dads grilled wahoo/halibut /mahi.
Flank steak tacos

Ill try to get that zuchini cassreole recipe and post.

Thanks for the recipe bbqzzz. I'll get to it at some point. I still need to get to BW's carne gusida recipe.

Moms fried chicken and she makes me a Milky Way cake every year for my birthday. I almost have her biscuits and her holiday dressing mastered,almost!

Moms tuna noodle casserole, which I now make for my kids. My grams fried chicken. And my lasagna verde is quite yummy!!!

dollarbill said:
Puff said:
My wife's lasagna.
Gramma's white bread.

Wifes Zuchini Casserole
Wifes Lasagna
Flank steak tacos

Thanks for the recipe bbqzzz. I'll get to it at some point. I still need to get to BW's carne gusida recipe.
My wife and I had a lasagna kinda' throw down a while back. She won hands down. I'd like to see your Wife's recipe to compare. ;)

swampsauce said:
Moms fried chicken and she makes me a Milky Way cake every year for my birthday. I almost have her biscuits and her holiday dressing mastered,almost!
Will need that recipe! Please!

My Mom made the best bean soup but she passed way when I was Sixteen. I was way too young to appreciate her efforts and never gave them much thought. A lot of outstanding meals were lost with her. Boy do I wish she had written them down.

Puff said:
swampsauce said:
Will need that recipe! Please!

Found it easily. That normally dont happen.
MILKY WAY® CANDY BAR CAKE
8 MILKY WAY® candy bars
1 stick butter
2 c. sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. chopped nuts
1/2 tsp. soda
1 c. buttermilk
2 1/2 c. cake flour
1/2 tsp. salt

ICING:

3 MILKY WAY® candy bars
1 stick butter
3 tbsp. milk
1 box powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. chopped nuts

Melt in double boiler, MILKY WAY® candy bars and butter. Cream sugar with eggs, vanilla, chopped nuts. Mix soda with buttermilk. Sift cake flour and salt. Add melted candy bars and butter (slightly cooled) to creamed mixture, and alternately flour and buttermilk and remaining ingredients, then nuts. Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour or until done in a 9x13 inch pan.(My mom bakes in layer pans)

ICING: Melt MILKY WAY® bars with butter and milk. Remove from heat, add powdered sugar for desired consistency along with vanilla and nuts.

Looks mighty tasty thanks for sharing. As a step saver..have noticed over the years a microwave on 50% power works just about as well as a double boiler for most any application I have yet bumped into. Not claiming it work on this one of course..but might be worth a try. Double boilers are a pain in the booty. Seems like we own one but I dont know where it is.

My grandpa made the best chicken and dumplings in history, and my grandma made some awesome bread and butter pickles. I never got the recipes but now I have a standard that nothing can live up to.

Zuchini Casserole:
1lb hamburger 80 20
1 cup Minute Rice
1/2 Onion
1/4 tsp. Oregano
2 or 3 zuchini
1 Cup grated chedder cheese
2 cups cottage cheese
1 can cream of chickin' soup

brown the hamburger w/ onions. DO NOT DRAIN.
Add Organo & Rice. Layer in a casserole dish in the following order. (We use an 8 x 8 by about 4 inches high.)

Zuchini, Meat, Cottage cheese, zuchini, soup, cheese Bake @ 350* for 40 minutes.

Puff said:
dollarbill said:
Puff said:
My wife's lasagna.
Gramma's white bread.

Wifes Zuchini Casserole
Wifes Lasagna
Flank steak tacos

My wife and I had a lasagna kinda' throw down a while back. She won hands down. I'd like to see your Wife's recipe to compare. ;)

Hands down the best i've ever had and it came outta the betty crocker cook book! I always thought it was "her" recipe and today I asked her "wheres the recipe?" She says: " In the cookbook on top of the fridge". She does do a coupla small things differrent from the original recipe.. go figure.... :oops:

Lasagna:

2 pounds hamburger
1 package pepperoni slices, Ground
1 cup onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
4 tablespoons dried parsley
2 teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon salt
2 cans whole tomatoes, undrained
2 cans tomato sauce
12 lasagna noodles
2 cups cottage cheese
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated

1. Cook hamburger, pepperoni, onion and garlic until hamburger is brown; drain.

2. Stir in 4 tablespoons parsley, the basil, salt, tomatoes and tomato sauce; break up tomatoes.

3. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally; reduce heat.

4. Simmer uncovered, until slightly thickened. About 45 minutes.

6. Cook noodles as directed; drain.

7. Mix cottage cheese, 1/4 cup parmasan cheese, 1 tablespoon parsley and oregano.

Spread 1 cup of sauce mixture on bottom of ungreased baking dish.

Layer in noodles. Spread 1 C. of the cheese mixture over noodles
spread with 1 C. of the sauce mixture. Sprinkle with 2/3rds cup of the mozarella cheese.
Repeat with 4 noodles the remaining cheese mixture and the 2/3rds Cup of Mozzarella
Top with remaining noodles and sauce mixture, sprinkle with remaining cheeses. 350* uncovered until bubbly (about 45 minutes) Let stand 15 minutes before cutting into.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom