What brand of knives to buy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tannehill Kid

Head Chef
My wife told me she would buy a some knives for our anniversary.(hope not to use on me) I would like a slicer,cleaver and just a good general use knife to trim up meat with. What would yall recomend.

Henckel and Wustolf are both really good brands. (I have Henkel knives for use at home)
Shun is a great brand... Expensive

Great inexpensive (relatively) knives are Forschner. (that's what makes up my BBQ "kit") (they are also what's in just about every butcher shop)

I Have some Wustolf's But I use Rada's for daily stuff, They sell a sharpener that gives a prof razor edge with a few strokes too, Their stuff is real cheap too. They have Carbon steel blades also

I would recommend you not listen to anyones suggestions. Knives are a very personal choice. What I would recommend is that you go to a reputable knife store and handle all of their knives from the lowest price to the highest. It is the only way that you will get a feel for all of the knives. Thats the most important thing. How it feels in your hand the weight etc.

I have some very expensive knives however my two favorites by far are a cheap Nella knife that is supposed to be used for seafood but works great for me for all things BBQ and a great knife I got for 4.99 that was marked down.

Another item you should get is a great sharpening stone or steel. I can recommend henkels for that.

Good advice Diva. BUT I strongly suggest you leave credit cards at home if you plan on going to the knife store.Come on, think back to when you were a kid in the candy store. :LOL:

Forschner...highly recommended by many people and they won't cost you an arm and a leg, unless you get careless with them, they're really sharp. :LOL:

I have Wustof's and have found them to be very sharp and they hold an edge very well. They are expensive. I think you are better off, pricewise, getting a set rather than buying open stock. Whatever you get...keep them out of the dishwasher!!!!!

Heinkels here. I get them from a place called Tuesday Mornings. Cheap but if you keep an edge on them with a good steel they last for ever.

Finney said:
Henckel and Wustolf are both really good brands. (I have Henkel knives for use at home)
Shun is a great brand... Expensive

Great inexpensive (relatively) knives are Forschner. (that's what makes up my BBQ "kit") (they are also what's in just about every butcher shop)

Finney and Bruce are right. I have Henkles in my kitchen which are being replaced as the wear out (and are in the bbq pit kit) with Forschner's.
You can buy buckets full of Forschners for what you pay for the high priced jobs.
Think of being at a comp and loose one. With high priced jobs you would be cussing all the way home.

What a concept -- a set of knives! :shock: Mine are totally miscellaneous. The one I reach for most often is a 6" Forschner chef's knife with Fibrox handle. A 4" wood-handle Forschner utility knife also gets a lot of use. I have a 7" Henckels Santoru that I bought from someone here (sorry, I forget your name), and it's a joy for going through stuff. I have some leftover Cutcos from when I sold Wear Ever ca. 1959, but the steak knives are what we use most. I got a Henckel knife block on eBay. The upper-left slot is filled with a knife steel I inherited from an uncle who was a chef. It's 14" (20" overall) and soooo easy to use. I also inherited a gigantic, round-tipped carver/slicer that I've never used, probably 14" too. Now that I think about it, I'll try it out on my buckboard bacon.

--John

I use a Henckles for daily use and am very happy with it..As a side note, we got a set of Wolgang Puck's Bistro Collection for a gift and they are really nice also..

I have a Russell Green River works chef's knife that I love! Les found it in a house he cleaned out and brought it home for me to try. It fits my hand well and holds an edge pretty good, too. Not sure where you'd find them.

Wusthof. "Buy the best, and only cry once." Right??? ;)

I've had the 6.5" santoku for 4 years now. I have not bought another knife since. Diva has it right, handle knives if you can.

Wusthof, F. Dick, and Shun here. I also have a 14" Dexter Russel slicer that I love for brisket and rib slicing.

My bbq knives consist of two sizes of those $5.00 Chinese knives that look like small cleavers. They will shave when drug across a ceramic steel. And a pair of Kershaw game shears.

allie said:
I have a Russell Green River works chef's knife that I love! Les found it in a house he cleaned out and brought it home for me to try. It fits my hand well and holds an edge pretty good, too. Not sure where you'd find them.

I take it he wasn't caught and arrested.

My set is made up of forschner and Global. Most of my set is forchner but my every day chef knife is Global. My Global knife is also by far my favorite it is the Knife I use 85% of the time. It is sharper than my forschner were ever. Since it is the knife I use the most it was defiantly worth spending the extra money to buy. Don't get me wrong forchners are great knives and for the price they are hard to beat. I have not intention of replacing the rarely used forchners until they are completely shot. But I will be replacing the ones that I commonly use like my boning knife. Also when buying knives they and avoid the temptation of over buying. That is one mistake I made when I first was in the market for knives. I have knives that I have maybe used 10 times in the past year and a half since I have had them.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom