What brand of knives to buy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Forschner/Victornox exclusively on this end. I can't stand the overpriced yup kraut knives. They too hard to sharpen. Spent half a day trying to help a lady at a cookoff get an edge on her Henneckles slicer using a steel and believe it was duller when I gave up than when I started. Here's a good place to buy em:

http://www.justknives101.com

Nice set consist of a big Chef's knife..12" granton slicer..6 inch curved boner..paring knife and a steel. That all come to a little over a hundred bucks which get you free shipping I think.

bigwheel

a lot of folks don't understand that.....those rods that come with the sets are straighteners, not sharpeners....they've designed to repair the blades of nicks and dings, not actually put a sharper edge on there.

I think.

eG Forums said:
Steeling your Knife

Steeling regularly is the most critical maintenance you can perform on your knife. Whenever you use your knife, especially soft kitchen knives, the edge can turn out a bit. Turn the knife with the edge pointing to the ceiling under strong light. You shouldn’t be able to see it. The edge itself should be invisible. If, however, you see glints of light, those are spots where the edge has rolled. The edge is still reasonably sharp, it’s just not pointing straight down anymore. The steel realigns the edge of the knife, forcing the rolled spots back into line, making it useable again.

sharpen104.jpg

Lots of knife maintenance and sharpening info here.

--John

Thanks for all the input. Here's what I've decided to do. Going to Houston this weekend and going to several stores and hold the different knives in my hand. Pick out the ones that feel the best and make my pick. Like I said thanks for all the ideas.

If you buy Forschners the steel is a straightner and sharpener rolled into one. Know some old butchers who been using the same Forschner for 20 yrs and the knife has never bumped into a rock or a grinding wheel.

bigwheel

Captain Morgan said:
a lot of folks don't understand that.....those rods that come with the sets are straighteners, not sharpeners....they've designed to repair the blades of nicks and dings, not actually put a sharper edge on there.

I think.

Never thought of that. I just let em turn black and keep on using. I thought all knives was black till I got grown:)

bigwheel

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Hay BW, still soaking rusty carbon steel knifes in tomato juice? Hell, it works! :LOL:

bw, I know you mean. I also grew with black knives. My favorite hunting knife, a 1970 Randall, and its blade turns black with lack of use.

Got my knives yesterday in Houston and got a 10 piece henckel. I went to get the wusthof but when I got there and held both in my hand henckel felt the best for me. Then the salesperson told me that wusthof had bought henckel out. Also told me that it was the same metal in both knives. I hope she told me the truth because I had a bad weekend. Got me of them speeding tickets going down and someone broke into my truck at a resturant and stole my pistol. You talk about piss me off.

Tannehill Kid said:
Got my knives yesterday in Houston and got a 10 piece henckel. I went to get the wusthof but when I got there and held both in my hand henckel felt the best for me. Then the salesperson told me that wusthof had bought henckel out. Also told me that it was the same metal in both knives. I hope she told me the truth because I had a bad weekend. Got me of them speeding tickets going down and someone broke into my truck at a resturant and stole my pistol. You talk about piss me off.

I don't want to make your weekend worse but not all henckels are the same steel let alone the same steel wusthof's uses.
Henckhel's premium 10 piece set runs $700 plus but you can pick up value set for $170.

The biggest thing to look for is if the Henckels are the "International" line. Those are the cheap stamped ones (not forged) made in Ecuador with cheap steel. Their other lines are made from German steel which is the same "type" of steel that Wustof uses. But I'd be willing to bet that the formula is slightly different. But they're both forged blades, so the quality should be close.

I'm a big fan of Shun knives myself. I think that Japanese steel has surpased German steel in the last 10 years or so in regards to cutlery grade. But that's just my opinion. That, and they look really cool because of the forging technique that's used.

But the bottom line is how you feel about them in your hand, and can they hold an edge? Run them over the honing steel every time you use them and have them sharpened about every 6 months and they should last a life time. Do not take them to a grocery store to have them sharpened, or any one else that uses an electric sharpener. Made sure that who ever sharpens them does them the right way or else the edge of the blade will be really jacked and take a lot of work to get them back to true. I spent about 6 hours on 3 Wustof knives this weekend for a friend of mine because of this.

Tim

The set that I picked up was the two guys on end. I got them a Williamsn Sonoma and they had the best price I could find. I was going to pick up a forchner 12in slicer but every store we went to was out.

Tannehill Kid said:
The set that I picked up was the two guys on end. I got them a Williamsn Sonoma and they had the best price I could find. I was going to pick up a forchner 12in slicer but every store we went to was out.

Henckel has several different lines of knives.

http://www.jahenckels.com/

I have a three piece set from the Pro S line, but there are other lines produced in Germany as well. As others have said, the international line is where you have to worry. Ecuador was mentioned above, but I have seen them with Spain and China lables as well.

I had not heard of Wusthof buying out Henckel.

Wusthof also has several lines produced in Germany as well has a price point line.

I couldn't live with out my Henckel scissors. :!: As far as knives go I have every thing from the .25 cent bin at a garage sale to the big buck ones. Kind of funny, the wife bought one at the dollar store and she uses it all the time. Damn thing holds a edge :roll: I don't like the handle on it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom