What are you cooking on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
What are you cooking on? I would like to know what style of pit you are using and what you see as the advantages and disadvantages of your pit. I do not want this thread to degenerate like the other one did. Comment only on the advantages and disadvantages of your own pit. I think that this discussion would be beneficial to anyone considering buying another pit/smoking apparatus. If I have left a style out I apologize it‘s from lack of knowledge not a slight..

ScottyDaQ said:
Can't really answer that...
I cook on both a WSM, Kettle, AND a Smokey Joe Gold.
Hmmmm. I answered WSM.
You’re the perfect guy to answer that. What do you like/dislike about each? I’m looking for more feed back then just the poll. More like ruminations and ramblings of BBQ junkies. Thanks.

wittdog said:
ScottyDaQ said:
Can't really answer that...
I cook on both a WSM, Kettle, AND a Smokey Joe Gold.
Hmmmm. I answered WSM.
You’re the perfect guy to answer that. What do you like/dislike about each? I’m looking for more feed back then just the poll. More like ruminations and ramblings of BBQ junkies. Thanks.

Since you said pit, I assume your talking about wanting to BBQ and not grill so I'll offer my opinion about the WSM.

Cons of the WSM ... capacity, the occasional flaking off from the lid, and the lack of a thermo.

Pros of the WSM ... price, footprint size, versatility, stability, consistency, ease of portability, not having to feed the fire (being able to sleep)...

Uhhh I'm sure I'll think of more but that's a start.

Wsm and trailer pit...

Pro's of the WSM....holds temp for 12 hours at a time with little to no fiddling, uses less than 1/2 bag of charcol...the only con I see is the small capacity...but it is perfect for personal use...

Pro's of the trailer is the capacity....also, I dont mind playing with the fire..Cons are having to fire the pit up to do 1 butt or some ABT's..
Thats why ya gotta have both...IMO..

john pen said:
Wsm and trailer pit...

Pro's of the WSM....holds temp for 12 hours at a time with little to no fiddling, uses less than 1/2 bag of charcol...the only con I see is the small capacity...but it is perfect for personal use...

Pro's of the trailer is the capacity....also, I dont mind playing with the fire..Cons are having to fire the pit up to do 1 butt or some ABT's..
Thats why ya gotta have both...IMO..
John I like the way you think

I am an "Other"
I use the dbl barrel made from plans called "The Big Baby". I built it as a goof. But it makes good Q. It was cheap and so am I! It was fun to build. Has huge capacity for my family and friends. The only downside was the thin walls rusting out on the bottom burn barrel. I may have that slowed down at least now cuz I lined it with bricks and vacuum it out when I am done.

Custom Pipe offset by Gator Pits of Texas.

24" diameter 1/4" pipe and plate construction
24"x24" firebox with grill and hot plate
24"x40" Main Chamber with 2 slide out shelves. tuning plates and grill
24"x24"x36" upright w/4 slide out shelves
Left and right side cleanouts

This pit weighs 1900 lbs or so and stands 7'5" to the top of the Chimney cover and is over 8' long. I'll say right at the beginning that a pit like this is not for everyone. It takes a whole lot more to keep up with a pit like this than it does the venerable WSM. Think before you leap.

Pros:

You can cook a bunch of food on it, smoked and grilled.
Performs very well at smoking and grilling
Holds heat very well
Lasts several lifetimes if cared for, will be a family heirloom.
Cool status symbol

Things to take into consideration before buying a pipe offset:
I don't consider these things cons as long you understand what your getting into.

Expensive initial purchase
Uses a fair amount of fuel and BBQ wood ain't cheap
Very large foot print
Challenging to clean and keep clean.
Very heavy
High Maintenance to keep it looking like new (if kept uncovered)
Can make a huge mess of your patio over time.

George is my WSM.

I'll give ya the one thing I hate most: All bolts in charcoal bowl area, the charcoal grate, rivets on dampers and such have rusted out way sooner than expected. It's covered too.

Pretty much all the other things people gave pros and cons about...I feel the same way.

Bill The Grill Guy said:
You needed a "Built my own pit" category.

Sorry Bill I wish I would have included a built your own categories. That’s a beauty my little guys got a kick out of your accent pieces on the smoke stacks.

WSM. Pros: relatively inexpensive, big enough to cook all I need at one time, easy to use, requires little to no maintenance, long cooks are easy without babysitting it, doesn't take up too much space, and a great support system (all the users here and on TVWB). Cons: no thermometer; it would be nice to have the option for a 3rd rack (for increased capacity when cooking ribs without having to mess with rib racks); the plastic handle isn't as neat as the wood handle on my 30-year-old Weber kettle grill.

I am cooking on a 2006 gator Budget Mobile.

24x48 main chamber
24x24 firebox

Gas assisted firebox
pull out shelves
wider door with counter weight
tuning plates

I weighs 800-1000 lbs and it is a bitch to move. The pit is 6ft. I think including the tralier it is 8 or 9 ft.

Pros:
1.holds heat
2.take very little to keep it going
3.very easy to maintain
4.can hold a lot of food
5.cooks evenly
6.No more need to buy charcoal with the gas log lighter

Cons
1.Like Zilla said it takes a fair amount of work to keep it looking good.
2.takes a little time to get it heated up

Klose Mobile. I can cook for 300-400 people. It has gas assist in the firebox so I can get the fire started easily, and heat the pit quickly should I fall asleep and let it go out! :) It has dual "fish fryer " burners on the front for heating water quickly (dishwashing) and cooking beans or other items. Also, it has a 30" w x 18" deep x 9 ft long lograck which allows me to put quite alot of"stuff" in it for gigs and comps. It has an upright which functions great as a warmer or, by moving some tuning plates, can be used to cook in as well. It is built like a tank with a solid trailer. In short, I love it! Woody

Back
Top Bottom