What are the dogs up to today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
What are the dogs up to today? Well I decided on the way home that is was cool enough to whip up a batch of pepperoni that the boys wanted and a batch of Italian sausage that the wife has been wanting to make so I pick up 10lb of pork for the sausage and 10bs of mixed meat, beef, veal, pork for the pepperoni.

The sausage stuffer it’s a five pound stuffer I bought from the Sausage Maker Inc.

The meat before seasoning

My oldest boy cranking the sausage

My youngest cranking the sausage

Some links

The pepperoni ready to cook

We ran out of casings so we are going to cook some of the sausage in patties form for lunch.

Great pics Dave. Is that something that could be done by yourself if need be or is it pretty much a 2 person operation?

Joker with the style of stuffer that I am using you can do it by yourself rather easily, but it is nice having help. With a “horn styleâ€

Where do you buy the casings? My brain is already thinking way to far ahead (and that's dangerous).

Yes I have a grinder. NO I did not use it today, most of the time do to time constraints I let the butcher grind it for me. When the weather is warm it’s a real pain to grind and stuff the meat without it smearing. I usually make at least 30 lb batches and call ahead today was a spur of the moment thing. When I have the butcher grind it I ask them to grind it coarse twice and not to lean it out. Ratman I get the casing from the grocery store/butcher. If your serious about making good sausage and want to learn allot about curing meats...Invest in the Kutas book "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing". Here is the link to the store or you could probably get it at Amazon.com http://www.sausagemaker.com/. The stuffer pictured is one of their products as well as the lectro smoke house I use for my cured meats. Their smokehouses are made in the USA right here in Buffalo. I also get the rest of my sausage making supplies from them. The guys that run the store are very nice and have opened early for me.....Definably get the book, there are a lot of nuances to making good quality sausage the book covers them all. It's time for this boy to get to bed. Please ignore whatever spelling mistakes I may have made. Oh and if you want to make sausage and you don't own a vac pac plan on getting one.

Here are the pics of the pepperoni after it came out of the electric smoker-- we let it sit overnight before slicing into it (other than the quality control sample, of course) so there will be more pics tomorrow.

Also, we won’t be drying this batch; in the winter, the basement is cool and dry enough to hang it to dry, but it just isn’t doable in the summer (and PLEASE, no advice/weblinks/etc on how to build a drying room! :-#

It's not too bad now that we have this stuffer, although that is probably relative because when we were using the horn stuffer, it was much more of a pain to do.

The real fun one is the fresh easter and christmas sausage when we still hand-cut the pork. A lot of work but well worth the effort. Along with the excellent food result (if I do say so myself :) ) it is another one of those traditions that are so important to dave and me.

I agree Mrs. Wittdog, We have a 8 pound horn stuffer that was a waste of cash! Please remind Dave to keep his eye open for a stuffer next time he goes to the sausage maker, We have a few grinders that work okay, But a crank stuffer would be great.
Funny thing is that we make well over a few hundred pounds of sausage per year, It's just a pain using a grinder and horn stuffer. If my pop gets a deer this year ( and he always does ) We may have to get together for a day of sausage making marathon.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
I agree Mrs. Wittdog, We have a 8 pound horn stuffer that was a waste of cash! Please remind Dave to keep his eye open for a stuffer next time he goes to the sausage maker, We have a few grinders that work okay, But a crank stuffer would be great.
Funny thing is that we make well over a few hundred pounds of sausage per year, It's just a pain using a grinder and horn stuffer. If my pop gets a deer this year ( and he always does ) We may have to get together for a day of sausage making marathon.
I will be making a trip to the sausage maker sometime in the next week or two and I will keep my eyes open. If your pops gets a deer I'm up for a sausage making marathon I will be more than happy to show you the TRADITIONAL way to make sausage. :razz: This was the first time we used the Clark clips and the hog rings to close the casings. They worked well.

Yeah, thought so. Funny how they offer those as part of a quick starter set..... Hmmmm .....
A Quick Starter Set to ....... MAKE YOU NOT WANT TO MAKE ANY MORE SAUSAGE !!!!!!!!!! :grin: :grin: :grin: :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom